How do I get a really good hair cut/style from a salon?

mirrorI would like to be able to walk into a salon, have them really look closely at the type and texture of my hair. Have them look closely at the shape of my head and my face, my skintone, eye color etc and then get a recommendation on the perfect cut, color etc just FOR ME.

What kind of a salon do I need to look for to do this?

Regular salons just don't seem to really care as long as you pick something out of a book or have a pic for them to go on and it still never looks right. I'm just frustrated and want a hair style/cut that is perfect for me based on my hair texture/face shape and the rest. I have tried picking out styles based on photos of similar face shapes etc as mine but, I am never satisfied anyway. Not that I'm hard to please, I am not.  I just want a very personalized cut and I'm hopelessly lost in finding a place that does it like this.  I would spend quite alot if they could give me "my ideal cut" and I would stick with that for a long time.

In other words, like celebrities, for example, always seem to have the most perfect cuts, styles and color jobs that seem to fit them to a "T" like they were born with it. (well most, I've seen some messes, LOL)  I realize celebs pay $1500 for a trim and all but...what's out there for us regular people to get a really, really great personal cut/style?

How do you get this done? Should I be looking for something particular in a salon when I go looking in the yellow pages or online? 

Thank You !!! :D

KellyGirl_TX

Asked by KellyGirl_TX at 2:36 PM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• When you see someone with a great cut, ask them who does their hair. I've found some great stylists that way.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 5:10 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Trial and error. Hair styling is an ART FORM. When you find the right person hold on to him/her for life! lol It helps if you have a picture too. Pictures are worth a thousand words...
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:29 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Try looking at a virtual makeover website.. you can try on different haircuts and styles until you find one that's right for you. Then print out the one you chose, and bring it in to the salon.

To make sure you get a good salon, ask around. Keep in mind all the bad salons, so you know where NOT to go. If you see someone with super cute hair, even if you don't know her, ask her where she gets her hair done.
    Gwenleona

Answer by Gwenleona at 5:09 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• TY sweetloveofmine...yes, it is most definitely an Art Form...that's why i'm trying to find where the 'Artiste's' are bcz they are not in your average cut & style joints out their although...I think they like to think they are superior. Places like local salons, Fantastic Sam or Visible Changes isn't what I'm searching for. I know there are specialty salons where you may pay $250 for your cut but...it will be for YOUR hair type, texture, YOUR face shape, head shape, bone structure etc. It won't be based on some picture cut out of a mag. It will be yours and yours alone, unique to you. That's what I'm trying to find. .......... Anyway, I FOUND one in Houston, Thank Goodness! Hurraaay! I know these ppl will know what it is I'm asking for. I can't wait to go!
    Thank You all for your answers.
    KellyGirl_TX

Comment by KellyGirl_TX (original poster) at 6:12 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• you first mistake is just 'walking into a salon', sight unseen. you have to do your part in seeking out great hair, and finding the stylist who did it.
    the next mistake would be assuming everyone in the salon is as good or talented (with technique or communication skills) as the one stylist.
    many times i've heard people bash a salon, as a whole, rather than the stylist who did not satisfy their desires. also, if its a little bit off from your desired outcome, it can be changed or 'fixed'..as long as the communication is good from both you and the stylist.
    if its a lot off, the communication wasn't there to begin with..and again, that is as much your responsibility as it is the stylist's.
    never be afraid to ask questions, show pictures, tell about past-failures, or walk away when you sense you and the stylist aren't on the same page.
    cont..
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:14 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• lastly..you can't expect a stylist, no matter how talented or reputed, to simply look at your head and do magic. the consultation should include knowledge of the time you want to spend on styling your hair, the tools you have or need to use, the product(s) to use, and the commitment a certain cut (or color!) will entail. all of this wrapped up into your hair texture, facial shape, and desired outcome..and you should walk away a happier girl.
    if all this is used, and you are still unhappy, you just can't be pleased. JMHO
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:17 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Oh and also...I've had enough of the trial and error, for sure, LOL...you can pay for almost anything today and find it or get it. Someone out there somewhere either has it, does it or knows someone who does it. It's just a matter of finding what you're looking for. I found the salon, actually 2 that do this in the city. Super high dollar but...I want MY cut & color. I can't wait to go! That's going to be a fun day for me.
    KellyGirl_TX

Comment by KellyGirl_TX (original poster) at 6:19 PM on Jun. 25, 2011