Rice Cereal

My son is almost 6 months and my pediatrician recommended starting solids, first with rice cereal. (He never seems full purely with breastmilk, makes chewing noises when I take a bite of food and tries to grab whatever I'm eating and eat it himself). So my husband and I have started rice cereal (4 days ago) but he seems to vomit quite a bit afterwards so I skipped it today and he didn't spit up as much. We used natural Beechnut.

Had anyone else had this issue? I've read to try oatmeal instead and skip rice cereal.

-lovingliam-

Asked by -lovingliam- at 2:40 PM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son just refused the rice cereal altogether but does really well with the oatmeal cereal.
    jimandjess

Answer by jimandjess at 2:45 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• My ds refused rice cereals and oatmeal cereals. I had to buy the Beechnut cereals in the jar for her to eat. I think she hates the way I make it. Try buying it in the jar. My dd is also 6months.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 2:50 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• How thick did you make it? Here is what I would do, I would add a scoop to his formula, just to thicken it up and see if it still isn't agreeing with him. Perhaps you just need to find the right consistency.

Liz30355

Answer by Liz30355 at 3:23 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Cereal isn't needed. His current behavior at the breast is normal; you want to put him to breast and leave him there. This is another growth spurt.

For solids... google "baby led solids" and you'll find all kinds of cool info.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:38 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Liz, baby is breastfed. And cereal only goes in the bottle per doc's directions for reflux. If baby needs it real thin, it's too early.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:39 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Could it be the amount of cereal that you are giving him? To begin with I only gave mine a tablespoon at a time until they adjusted. Maybe just do a teaspoon of cereal right before you nurse (maybe every other feeding at first, then work your way up to every feeding, before adjusting the amount given at one time) to allow his stomach to learn to accept more......
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 3:58 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• He's fully breast fed. I've messed with the consistency. He preferred it a little thicker. However, he still spit up. I gave him a Tbsp worth the passed few days. He eats more now than he ever did throughout any of his growth spurts. He wakes up nearly every hour at night to eat as well. Also, he knows how to eat great off of a spoon and always tries to eat my foods. He's more than ready for solids.
    -lovingliam-

Comment by -lovingliam- (original poster) at 4:39 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Feel free to skip cereals all together. At this age, you can even skip jars, if you want, and just puree, mash up or cut up little bits of what you're eating...banana, avocado and sweet potato are all great starter foods. Anything that's not naturally soft, you can bake or steam until it is soft enough.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:56 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• NEVER before you nurse. Until 12 mos, nurse (or feed bottle) before offering any solids. You don't want them to fill up on solids and take less breastmilk (or formula). The BM is what contains the calories and nutrients needed in the first year.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:58 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• You can try th barley or whole wheat cereal by gerber. I started giving my son cereal in his bottle at 4 mos everyone says you shouldnt but it filled him up alot more and saved me on formula. You have to introduce your child to solids sometimes start with mashed potatoes and stuff like that till they get the hang of chewing and swallowing correctly
    JoyLovesYouExOh

Answer by JoyLovesYouExOh at 12:41 PM on Jun. 26, 2011