When did your newborn give you a REAL smile?

My DS is a little over 3 weeks old and DH swears that Sonny smiles at him whenever DH is holding him..I keep trying to tell him that I don't think he can give a true smile at this young and that it's probably involuntary like when he waves his arms and legs all spastically lol...but hmmm...I could be wrong...so when did you get that first real smile and how did you know it was on purpose?

Lucky209

Asked by Lucky209 at 2:42 PM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A true social smile usually happens between 4-6 weeks. Both my babies were around 5 weeks.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:44 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Around 5 weeks for my DD and DS was around 8 weeks
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 2:46 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• 6 weeks for my DD too. you could tell her smile wasn't just from gas or whatever cuz she seemed to do it after we smiled at her first and it was several times in a row. now she won't stop smiling. lol she's a very jolly baby.
    mmsfirstone

Answer by mmsfirstone at 2:48 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• it happens whenever you build rapport with them
    u smile at them, they stay in unison with you and eventually smile... you look away, they get discombobulated
    lizzybee44

Answer by lizzybee44 at 2:50 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• About 4 weeks. By 5 or 6 weeks they were grinning and giggling. Its fun,isn't it???
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 3:20 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Its a myth that they smile because of gas. Have you ever smiled because you had gas? Probably not, so why would a baby? DS smiled the very first day.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 3:23 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Mine, and most others I know, were right around 6 weeks.
    Anonymous

• My son and daughter both smiled for the first time around 2 months. My daughter is 3 months old and we're still waiting for her first laugh.
    Sillieguze

Answer by Sillieguze at 10:23 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• My son smiled at around two months. :)
    LemonLimeyify

Answer by LemonLimeyify at 1:52 PM on Jun. 26, 2011