If a family member was in a secure mental institution

and asked you to call every day at a specific time and takes an hour and a half of calling over until the line was not busy for a call to go through. When the call goes through FINALLY another patient answers the phone and says he cannot talk right now because he is on the other phone talking to a friend and this family member confirms it by getting on the line for two seconds and says call me tomorrow, would you be annoyed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 PM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Relationships

• I know it's wrong, but I'd feel annoyed too. My hour and a half was worth something. If they were talking to another family memeber (am assuming you are one too) then why not save time and do a 3way? I'm not good at waiting, so unless you use that thing on the phone where it keeps trying the number for so long, then I'd start writing and on designated day of the week at a certain time, I'd call and if they dont' answer after a few minutes...then no call.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 8:48 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• not at the family member. but at the fact that others in the institution were tying up the phone...maybe but then again I would realize that there are lots of patients and they all need to use the phone...
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 11:57 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Well, yes. Any ohter way of communicating that doesn't require specific timing? Say, letters?

Answer by gdiamante at 11:57 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• No, this person is an adult, maybe he was in the middle of a very important conversation that you don't have all the details about. At least he's cognitively sound enough to have a conversation, be glad for that, and call him tomorrow. :)
    Anonymous

• um not to be ignorant but it is a mental institution.
    Anonymous

• I personally would just write. It sounds as though this happens every time you call, not just once. Because if that were the case I'd just call again. But in a repeated situation I'd write, say I tried to call and that you don't have time to talk on the phone (kids, job, meals etc).

Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 12:01 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• "um not to be ignorant but it is a mental institution."

I do not understand your statement at all...

the fact that it is a mental institution does not mean that the patients can't have conversations... depending on their reason for being there, they could be very intelligent but with mental disorders that affect mood and that's why they were placed there...as a safety for them and others.

flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 12:01 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I can't call my sister at a specific time because in an institution with so many people it just DOESN'T work that way. You're sharing a single phone in a lounge with 25 (whatever #) other people. She was in jail and now she's in a mental institution and we have to communicate by letters. It's so snail mail but to be honest...it's more difficult talking to her on the phone for many reasons.but I actually prefer mail instead.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 12:01 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• There are two phones in the section of the mental institution my family member is in. It is nicer to be able to call then have a big bill from a collect calls. I just do not have the time to spend calling over and over to be told to call back tomorrow.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• here's an idea... maybe mail them a phone card so that they can use it to call you instead of them calling collect. that way they can call when they are available and have the phone.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 12:07 AM on Dec. 14, 2008