Shortening substitute

I am making icing for some cookies and I found a recipe that looks yummy, but it calls for shortening I don't have any so is there a substitute I have been told butter/margarine but the recipe already calls for that.

rhanford

Asked by rhanford at 2:54 PM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Food & Drink

• butter can be used but it will change the flavor...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:57 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• foodsubs.com
    shortening = vegetable shortening Notes: Crisco is a popular brand. Substitutes: butter (1 cup shortening = 1 cup + 2 tablespoons butter; butter is better tasting than shortening but more expensive and has cholesterol and a higher level of saturated fat; makes cookies less crunchy, bread crusts more crispy) OR margarine (1 cup shortening = 1 cup + 2 tablespoons margarine; margarine is better tasting than shortening, but more expensive; makes cookies less crunchy, bread crusts tougher) OR lard (1 C shortening = 1 C - 2 tablespoons lard; lard has cholesterol and a higher level of saturated fat) See also: fat (for low-fat or no-fat substitutions)
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 3:00 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• its just for frosting on a banan cream cookie so if I use margarine insteado f butter and shortneing is it going to be a big differencE?
    rhanford

Comment by rhanford (original poster) at 3:04 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I think it would be fine- just a little softer. here is another one that might be good on banana cookies!

(I would cut in half for cookies)
    1 1/2 sticks butter
    2 c. brown sugar
    4 tbsp. water
    2 tbsp. vanilla (you must use 2 tablespoons vanilla)

Bring to boil for 1 or 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 1 1/3 cups peanut butter until smooth. It will be thinner than expected but will firm up as it cools.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:45 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I copied and pasted the wrong one!! I meant htis one. ::sigh:: I am tired today. lol. Excuses excuses.

1/2 cup butter
    1 cup creamy peanut butter
    4 cups confectioners' sugar
    1/3 cup cream
    n a large bowl, beat butter and peanut butter until light and fluffy. Slowly beat in 1/2 of the confectioner's sugar. Mix in 1/4 cup of the cream. Beat in the remaining confectioners' sugar. If necessary, add a little more cream or milk until the frosting reaches a good spreading consistency.

I would still cut in in half for cookies though.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:57 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• If you're using the one from the betty Crocker cookbook, butter is fine. i make that one all the time. Good recipe!
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 7:51 PM on Jun. 25, 2011