My toddler is holding his BM's in until he is in pain, HELP! :(

I posted the other day about this and he has yet to go. We did do a suppository on tuesday but its been 4 days since and he tells me everyday his belly hurts. I am pushing water, straight grape juice, letting him eat as much fruit was he likes, making sure his meals have some form of fiber in them and nothing so far. I do have a sample packet of miralax but not sure how much i should give him if I resort to this? Also have been thinking about buying some mineral oil to give him daily for a while so maybe we won't have this problem? Anyone use this before? How much to give a 2 1/2 yr old? I am just heart broken that my baby is in so much pain b/c he won't go poop. He says he has to go poop and will even set on the potty and toot real big and then says he is done and will fight me til i let him up. When he does toot they are HORRIBLE smelling so i know he needs to go, i just don't know what to do. He was fully pottied trained and peeing and pooping in the potty up until this past week or so. I just want my baby to feel better and feel okay with going poop in the potty again.

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 3:05 PM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• How long has it been total since he pooped?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:16 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• My ds had stomach problems and his doc told him me to give him a cap full of Miralax. Please fix this now. My niece had BM problems and her mom took her time getting her help. She ended up being impacted, which is not good at all. She had to take 6 capful of Miralax a day for 2days and have to take 2 capful everyday for a year because it was so bad. GL!
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 3:16 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Wow, I think it's time to see a doctor. Normally I don't panic about kids and these sorts of issues, but it's entirely possible there's an obstruction in there, a hernia or some other reason he can't poop. I'd be taking him to the ER or the family doctor NOW.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 3:44 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• My niece has a very severe consitpation problem and has forever and we usually give her 1/2 tablespoon of miralax, if my daughter who is almost 2 1/2 is constipated I give her a little more than that, sometimes a full tablespoon, and it helps out alot, I've never used more because the package lists adult dosages. Another thing you might try is while he's sitting on the potty, tell him to try and push, I know it sounds silly but if it seems like a game or something he might be more likely to try. I'd also see about getting a baby enema, they sell them at walgreens, walmart, and some grocery stores, they help my niece ALOT but I'd definately do a dose or two of miralax a day plus an enema if the suppository didn't work. But if it doesnt get better SOON you need to take him to the dr or ER. That can get very bad at that age, so I'd try an enema plus miralax, and maybe give another enema later on if things aren't back to normal.
    husky_grlie08

Answer by husky_grlie08 at 4:08 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• ButMommie: it has been over a week since he has pooped on his own without the help of suppository and laxative. But he did finally go after his nap about an hr ago and it was huge and hard, so hard it clogged the toilet when i shook it out of his underwear. (i was desperate for him to poop and didn't want him to hold it in anymore so i just let him poop in his underwear)
    leann74016

Comment by leann74016 (original poster) at 4:10 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Every once in awhile my daughter has stages like that but if its getting hard for her to go or starting to get to where she isn't going, I give her miralax, by the second day, not alot but enough to loosen things up for her. It wont hurt, just keep things from getting too bad. If it keeps being a problem, make a drs appt, they know better what dose would be best. Hopefully now that he went it wont be a problem, but just in case, thats what I do. Good luck :)
    husky_grlie08

Answer by husky_grlie08 at 4:14 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• i did that too when i was younger, my grandmother would give me metamucil cookies & lactose free milk to help & lts of fiber becuase when i held it in too long, & finally went i'de bleed because it was so hard... when you see him holding it you have to sit him on the potty & no matter how long it takes, have him sit until he goes... sing songs or read books, thats what my grandmother did for me... eventually he will have to go to the DR's & get it removed with a device, so try the metamucil cookies & fiber to soften & don't give up while he's on the potty ! good luck :)
    ZoeyMariah.

Answer by ZoeyMariah. at 4:26 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• My oldest has this issue. My husband has a history of Hirshsprung's Disease ... believe that is how it's spelled. We go to a specialist next week. But same problems. Hirshsprungs is a disease where the colon isn't working properly, there are varriations of how severe it is as well. About 6 weeks ago I gave him mineal oil in his juice. I gave him 1 tablespoon in morning. Then at night I gave him another. Then the next morning cut back to a teaspoon. Then his poop got moving. I put him in a diaper for a couple days, cause once it started moving it was gross. And no kiddin he had probably 2 or 3 pounds of poop once he was all cleaned out, took about 2 days to get him all cleaned out. Like you I always give lots of fiber, he even drinks prune juice with water daily. I did completely cut out chocolate, no choc milk, no choc mix for milk. As he loved that one glass of chocolate milk he was allowed to mix every day. He tries to...
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 4:30 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• ...hold poop in every day. And he is like clockwork down to the hour of day when he poops. When I see him getting stiff like a board I carry him to the toilet and we sit there and push together till it comes out. Hoping the choclate was ahuge culprate. And that getting him cleaned out also helped. But I try to get him to go every day to not get backed up. That is just miserale. Good luck!!!!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 4:32 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I'm sifting back through my dusty memories to when my eldest was this age, and he used to go through the same thing. Prune juice or prunes are better than grape juice. Also metamucil is good, it's just extra fiber to help move things along. But in my experience this is a stage and he will likely outgrow it, so even if you have to use miralax regularly for a while, that's no big deal.

The fact that he did eventually do a poop means there's no obstruction, so no reason to panic.

I think teaching him to "push" is a very very bad idea. When the poop is ready and waiting, if his bowel is healthy it should slide out easily. There is no benefit to pushing and teaching him to do that will instil it as a lifelong habit and lead to heamorrhoids (sp?). Just keep him eating lots of fruit and whole grains etc, laxative if necessary, and let him poop in his pants if need be. I think the stage will pass, just be patient.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 4:39 PM on Jun. 25, 2011