What do I need to know about airplane travel...? Suggestions on suitcases?

_SouthernStar_

Asked by _SouthernStar_ at 3:26 PM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Travel

• Depends who you are flying with (company) and who your companions are?
    Liz30355

Answer by Liz30355 at 3:27 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Its just me and my lil boy who is 7. I cant fit everything in one suitcase... was gonna take two and wonder what the charges might be.. We are flying Delta.
    _SouthernStar_

Comment by _SouthernStar_ (original poster) at 3:34 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• You need to go to Deltas website & check that out for yourself. Each airline will have different rules/regulations. We flew Jetblue the other month & each person with a seat got two carry ons (one was supposed to be smaller then the other sizes were on their site but nobody checked the size really) then each person got two check in bags. In addition to this anything such as a stroller or carseat could be checked in at the entrance to the airplane for free that includes wheelchairs etc for the elderly.

So hit up their website it will give you all the info you will need =)
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 3:41 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Oh do you have any other questions or more specific ones?

One thing is you cant bring through security at the airport any opened packages of food but closed ones are fine. Any liquid will require you to stop & have it tested. This means being pulled off to the side, having your bag searched for such liquid item (including liquid meds) then they open them & test them with a strip of paper or something, this takes extra time to do so avoid it if you can. Shoes go through the x ray so as you approach your turn to put your stuff on the belt I suggest you just take them off of you & your son so its quicker & smoother going through (if you are at a busy airpor that is). If you are going to a large airport I suggest getting there way early bc security can sometimes take a long time like hour or more while other times you breeze through I say this with my experience from Orlando, Floridas airport.

Any other questions just ask!
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 3:44 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Thanks you have been alot of help ... ;)
    _SouthernStar_

Comment by _SouthernStar_ (original poster) at 3:46 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I think you each get one carry on and a personal item, i.e. purse, back pack, laptop (anything that can fit under the seat in front of you is considered a personal item). Most airlines give you that allowance for free but anything you check will cost you, of course this also may depend on the type of ticket you purchased as well. If you purchased and economy ticket or anything through a third party travel agency such as priceline-expedia, travelocity etc. you can pretty much bet you don't get to check a bag for free at all. Checking a bag ranges anywhere from $20-50.00 EACH WAY. I usually pack my carry on then I take my purse. My son, who is 9, takes his carry on then he takes a backpack with all of his "things to do" packed in there. Snacks (no liquid or gel stuff until you get through security though), iPod, books, magazines, NintendoDS etc. Honestly security is where the confusion usually is.
    Liz30355

Answer by Liz30355 at 3:46 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• just check with the company your flying on.....each one has different rules........
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:03 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• travel

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:19 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• take a carryon and a larger suitcase
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:29 AM on Jun. 27, 2011