Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

Custody of a 6 week old?

I just had a baby and my ex (who did nothing for the pregnancy and has done nothing for my DD) said he wants 50/50 custody. I seriously don't know how he plans on that working as I breastfeed. I switched jobs while pregnant so that I can work from home so I can breastfeed. In the hospital, they tried a little formula because she was so small but she got sick off of every brand they tried. I pumped a little in the hospital but ended up with a breast infection so my doctor said only straight on the breast, no pumping. I have talked to my ex about visiting her in my home for a couple hours once or twice a week (since he moved while I was pregnant and now lives 2 hours away, it wouldn't make sense for him to take her where he lives and bring her home to feed because by the time he gets there, it would be time to feed, also he only has a 2 seat car with no back seat so she couldn't be in his car anyway. I think I am being generous to let him take visitation in my home as I don't have to do that and I don't see that he has any other option. Has anyone every heard of something like this? What did the judge order in those cases?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:16 PM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Parenting Debate

Answers (24)
  • Is he on the birth certificate? Are you married to him?

    Answer by treynlisa at 4:20 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

  • You need a lawyer- sooner the better. He is entitled to visitation although most judges won't grant overnight or anything that interferes with her nursing schedule. good luck.

    Answer by EgoTryptophan at 4:20 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

  • He won't get 50/50 custody unless you are a meth-addict psycho. Get an attorney.

    Answer by emmyandlisa at 4:23 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

  • He is not on the birth certificate only because I called him after she was born and he didn't want to come to the hospital and since we are not married, he would have to sign to be on it. I am getting a lawyer, I have a consultation on Tuesday.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:23 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

  • Offer him visitation in your home for now. Let him file for paternity test and visitation/custody. The judge will not give him 50/50 for now while you are breast feeding.

    Answer by treynlisa at 4:28 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

  • Good! Do not let the baby go with him! Since it is not ordered,I would not have him in your house either!

    Answer by dancer at 4:28 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

  • Lol I assure you, I am neither a meth addict nor a psycho. I have a stable home and make enough money. I have told my ex that if he doesn't file for visitation, he won't have to pay child support but if he does then he will pay child support ( going back from since she was born)

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:30 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

  • You don't have to let him around until there is a custody agreement. And if he isn't on the birth certificate, he has no rights. He would actually have to take you to court and have a court ordered DNA test. They aren't going to allow an infant to just ride off with their father, especially when you are breastfeeding. Congratulations on your new baby. Enjoy her!

    Answer by attap5 at 4:36 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

  • The judge decides whether you get back child support or if it will start after the court date.

    Answer by treynlisa at 4:37 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

  • Nope, in our state, I can get it back since the date of the birth as long as we weren't married or living together.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:40 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.