Is it fair

I ask it court that the father of the child pay for half of all non covered medical expenses related to the pregnancy and birth of the child? I told my ex that if we go to court, I plan on asking for this, he says that is unreasonable since they are my medical bills but if I wasn't pregnant or giving birth to our child, I wouldn't have those. I incurred $1,150 total

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:39 PM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I can see why you would want this and i think that asking for it is not unreasonable. I would be interested to know the outcome, please keep us posted!!
    Liz30355

Answer by Liz30355 at 4:40 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Ok thanks, I have been told it is pretty standard I just can't imagine why my ex doesn't think its fair.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:43 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Cause he doesn't want to pay or can't afford it, maybe both! If money was no object and cared about you and the well-being of HIS baby he wouldn't question it would he?
    Liz30355

Answer by Liz30355 at 4:45 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Idk how it works there but in my state custody can be taken away for a list of like 8 reasons and one of them is not supporting the woman for the last 5 months of pregnancy, and that includes the bill, i know this isn't over custody but still, same concept. So I think that's pretty normal that he pay, its not like your asking for pain and suffering or something ridiculous like that. And have of medical expenses is more than fair. It is his child too after all. Good luck.
    husky_grlie08

Answer by husky_grlie08 at 4:50 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• You'll have to establish paternity first though if that hasn't already been done.
    Liz30355

Answer by Liz30355 at 5:05 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Totally fair. In most cases the fathers are required to pay for 1/2 (or more) of the medical bills. He will probably be expected to due the same for the child until the age of 18.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 5:05 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Its completely fair! Its his baby you carried he should pay half.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:07 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I think it's fair. What do you mean that YOU chose to have the child? Didn't he choose to have sex? Doesn't he know that's the consequences of having sex? If he doesn't I'd advise him that in the future if he is worried about a baby, he should probably keep his pants on. Some men!
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 5:08 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• You are going to have a long road with this one....yes it is fair.
    sipn_mom

Answer by sipn_mom at 8:47 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Good luck. He is a cheapskate. He should pay half.
    You say he is your EX.....ex-husband or ex significant other?
    This is one of the reasons I am a big supporter of marriage---legalities. If he is your ex-husband, it might be a lot easier to get the courts to agree that he should pay half!!!
    Every time I say that people should be married when kids are involved,I get some mean and nasty comments from youngsters who insist marriage is 'just a piece of paper'. LOL. This is an example of why that is wrong. Think of the kids!!!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:18 PM on Jun. 26, 2011