Do you work opposite shifts from your dp/dh?

I start back working in 2 weeks, I've been a SAHM for 7 years! I will be working opposite shifts as my husband, so he will be home with our 3 kids in the evening...
How does this work for you? I'm worried when I come home, he'll be sleep and the baby (15 months) will be running around tearing the house apart.

babycakes254

Asked by babycakes254 at 4:57 PM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Money & Work

• He's gone for work 12+ hours a day 5 days a week and I work about 10 hours a day on the other 2 days a weeks. It sucks pretty bad, we never see each other except late at night when I'm sleepiest and early in the morning when he's sleepiest.

As someone else suggested though, make a list for him. I tell him when I get home on any given night, I want the floor in the family room vacuumed, dishes in dishwasher, babies in clean diapers and pajamas, etc. I remind him of how everything is in order when he gets home from work. It works for us. Men like to do list. That way they are not worrying about what they are doing wrong.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 6:48 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• My husband and I work opposite shifts. I work from 6a-6p and he works from 6p-6a. In order to afford daycare for our two kids, we mostly work opposite days as well, except one overlapping. It sucks.

8 hour shifts might not be so bad...but 12's are terrible.
    mommydinasaur

Answer by mommydinasaur at 5:33 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Just lay done the routine and tell him to stick to it. It will be an adjustment but the kids will get used to it.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 5:00 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• yeah. my daughter is 11 months and i've been working for 4. he always works days and i work nights. it works for us
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 5:30 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• We work opposite on the days he works, he works W-Sat 1:30pm - 12:30am and I work Mon - Fri 5:00 am - 1:00 pm I think the one thing that works for us, is i work at home, so I can see him during the morning when he is home. I am not very good company (I am very busy working) but at least we can see each other and he can ask me what I need him to do.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 7:03 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Before our 5th was born I worked Fri/Sat nights when my husband was home with our older 4. It worked out well - he did/does a great job with them!

Answer by missanc at 12:03 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Thanks for the responses. I just need to have faith in him, I guess lol
    babycakes254

Comment by babycakes254 (original poster) at 5:59 PM on Jun. 26, 2011