How do you forgive someone?

who has physically, emotionally and mentally abused you?
is it even possible/
i read one christian book on it, did not help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:13 PM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Relationships

• It took me years too but I came to a realization hating him was only holding me back and keeping me from my own happiness. I think that is when I gave it up to God and said just take it from me. He did. Later my ex suffered and is still suffering his own karma and maybe if I hadnt forgiven Id be rejoicing his bad luck, BUT I am too busy leading my own happy life to stop and care.

Answer by gemgem at 6:21 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• thanks for being honest meooma
    and good that gemgem, you are showing me its possible
    oh lord please take away these pains in my heart!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:24 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• GL. Its been 14 years for me and I still have issues!
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 6:28 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• You should always forgive BUT never forget. I would just stay my distance from this person unless its your mate then that would be kind of hard.
    If it's your mate and you want to stay with him then forgive but don't forget and tell him stright up that if he continues to treat you like he does then the relationship is over and mean it....
    dusty1962

Answer by dusty1962 at 6:51 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Time, apologies, and changed behavior.
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 7:36 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• You can forgive once you realize that the forgivness is for YOU Not the other person.. All that hate is torture for the mind body and soul please dont do that to yourself.. Try to find something HUMAN in the person that you are anger with.. Pick 2 a day . And maybe in a week you wont be as angry.. There is one peron in my life that I Have to forgive often bc she treats like shit but she is family.. Anyway I would write this person a letter and read it out loud and then burn it.. GOOD LUCK
    Rydersmommy616

Answer by Rydersmommy616 at 7:43 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• You forgive, because you are forgiven (when you are Christian) but remember it's a journey, it takes time. Try to see where that persons pain comes from to know why they act the way they do. Often, people treat others the way they have been treated, or were not taught better. What I did is first ask God to help me even WANT to forgive. That's a start. Sometimes we don't want to forgive, and that makes it impossible. God will get you through this, just the fact that you do want to and try to says it all about where your heart is! Love, and blessings to you.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 8:17 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Time. I don't believe you could ever forgive a person for that kind of treatment though. I know it is the Christian thing to do, but is is truly possible? I think you learn to move on from it, but not truly forgive or forget.
    momofkids

Answer by momofkids at 10:02 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• because you your self have to be able to just know how and when its time for you to for give and for get. and this has to be if you want to not because some one is telling you to or the good christian says so.
    butterflies78

Answer by butterflies78 at 10:17 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I forgave the person who abused me (in all ways) simply because I knew they had issues. I realized they treated me badly and knocked me down with comments to make themselves feel better. When I realized they were pretty screwed up and didn't know any better it was easy to forgive. As for forgetting, never going to happen. I will remember forever what they did to me, however I will not spend one single second looking at the past anymore. I want joy and peace in my life and looking back just makes it all new again. Don't do that to yourself. It can be done. Just be ready to have a much better life!
    TwinkleLites

Answer by TwinkleLites at 10:25 PM on Jun. 25, 2011