Financial Problems

DH works. I do not. I go to college full-time so I can get into a good career. Lately we've been having financial problems even though we don't live an extravagant lifestyle. We do have internet/cable/phone as a combined package through the cable company. Phone is needed, and due to school work so is the internet. The cable is a bonus since it's cheaper to get the bundle than to just get internet and phone.

I've been thinking about putting off further semesters in school and go back to work until we can develop a bit of a nest egg, but I'm concerned about this possibility as it may a) make my current credits unapproved for transfer into another college since it's medical and they want students who are recently studied and b) I'm afraid financial situations may keep arising and make it impossible to get a decent nest egg going.

Should I return to work, or continue with school so I can make a decent living well beyond entry-level employment?

Gwenleona

Asked by Gwenleona at 7:47 PM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Money & Work

• I say STAY in school. You never know, if you start working, then come to be dependent upon that income you might never get back to school.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 8:23 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I would encourage you to stay in school if at all possible. Better to finish now. I know several people who always thought they would go back and never did. Would your schedule allow to help with some child care or pet sitting for a few extra bucks? Care.com has several categories of jobs and there might be something there that would be a fit. Use the pulldown to see the categories and check out the possibilitites. There are no fees to look at the jobs or to register. Just one idea.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 7:57 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I second The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey. We did Financial Peace University and it has made all the difference in our lives.

An option you may consider is to join a direct sales company to make extra money. You have the flexibility to schedule around your school work, and if you're willing to put the work in, you have a good income potential. Check out www.dsa.org and www.dsef.org for great resources on how to pick a company that's right for you.

You can also contact me for information about the company I'm affiliated with.
    NooraK

Answer by NooraK at 10:53 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• If you haven't already try a prioritized zero based budget. That means every dollar is allocated before any money actually comes in the home. That way you know as soon as he gets paid, then you need to pay x, y, and z, and set aside such and such amount for groceries, and this amount for fuel, etc.

I am guessing that you guys make enough to survive you're just nickle and diming yourselves on some little things.

Check out the book Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey for more info or the Dave Ramsey Fans group on CM. I'm totally guessing here, but it sounds like with a little belt tightening you guys should be able to get you through school.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 7:53 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I say stay in school. You can get a part-time job while you're in school if you need to bring in a little extra money. I worked part-time as a full-time undergraduate student (single with no kids) and full-time while a full-time graduate student (married with 2 kids).
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 8:59 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I'm being covered 100% by grants for the next 2 years (including books), and 35% of my tuition is covered for the remaining years.
    Gwenleona

Comment by Gwenleona (original poster) at 10:43 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I work from home for a great company. You are a good candidate for this type of business because you can incorporate it into your life, & it's flexible as to how much time you work - how much you earn. This is the easiest business I have ever operated for the return $$$
    Feel free to contact me any time for more information, I would be happy to provide you with all the details.
    1northwestmom

Answer by 1northwestmom at 3:03 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• uuuuugghghghghghghg hun! tough stuff.....
    maybe a pt job? can you net and sit at mc'd and do your school work? maybe getting out of the bundle package will help....and getting a low cost local phone from at&t or whom ever you have where you are....
    dancingthrulife

Answer by dancingthrulife at 1:52 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Tuition is going so high that it's almost not worth going since the rate of pay when you graduate isn't going to pay for your college much less get you ahead in life. The economy is in the toilet if you haven't noticed. They had that on the news the other night.
    Anonymous