My dog is ALWAYS gasy!???

what would keep making my dog fart!? its disgusting!?? & im getting really annoyed with it. I use to search the house to see if he pooped somewhere & couldnt find nothing then i realized what it was,. I just got it from a friend maybe its the new dog food.. idk?

jennifer_oakley

Asked by jennifer_oakley at 7:50 PM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Pets

• It is probably the food. It could either be the quality of food, the fact that the food was not slowly switched to a new diet or the dog has a sensitive tummy.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:17 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• It can be many different factors. Not all dogs have stomach for certain foods. Dog food that's too cheap it is mostly chemicals, accidental bone intake that got stuck to their rear end sack, or maybe way too much food at once, or his poop hole is to clogged you need to make sure is clean so he can go when he needs to and not get gassy instead. Most people will tell you to take him to the Vet in case your dog has a major issue, but most dogs are gassy because their poop hole is loaded with their excrement it needs to be clean up. The process of the cleaning is called Annal Expression and it is very cheap. Usually less than 10 dollars, depends on where you take him. Every dog owner is suppose to do this every six months, that's only twice a year. You can do it yourself as well, you can learn how to do it by watching the popular how-to videos. It is easy, but it takes time to get it the right way. Make sure you are very careful.
    Edilma

Answer by Edilma at 8:18 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Not all dogs need to have their anal glands expressed most dogs do this on their own. Some don't or can't and need it done. Most of the ones that need it have to have it done more frequently then every 6 months.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:23 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• a few spoon fulls of yogurt in our dogs dinner every night took care of that issue for us.
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 8:29 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I agree it very well could be and more than likely is his diet. Think about it if all you ate was McDonald's and Tacobell how gassy would you be? Look at the lable on his food. A good dog food is free of any corn products, beet pulp, and brewers rice (there are a few others but those are your major fillers) it should also be free of artificial colors and flavors. The first ingredient should be a meat product.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:01 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Wondering what kind of dog it is- we have a Boston Terrier and that is a farting breed because their noses are too small, and they take in a lot of air when they breath. This goes for all dogs with a smoosh face I would imagine. But our big dog has issues sometimes too, and that is usually something he ate that is not his regular food.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 9:11 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• OOOPS I meant to say they take in a lot of air when they eat. Not breathe.
    JackieGirl007

• its a pit.! this dog farts like 10times a hr it smells like! it sits up my computer chair! its driving me crazy!
    jennifer_oakley

Comment by jennifer_oakley (original poster) at 9:57 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I have heard of different solutions, not all work the same. First is, make sure your dog is healthy. You might need a visit to a vet. Sudden increase in farting can be a symptom of a serious condition. But if he's always been stinky, try these:
    1) peptol bismol. Dosage according to his weight. Should stop the gas in 30 minutes
    2) add unprocessed bran to whatever dog food you serve, all the time. The fiber will aid in his digestion, eliminating gas. It may make it worse at first, so add it gradually.
    3) switch to a different breed, Pitbulls are notorious farters. (Yeah, not very helpful, huh?)
    4) by a dog food that contains no corn! The corn isn't digestible, and causes the farts. Put him on corn-free, and he'll be cured.
    5) some dogs eat too fast, causing gassiness. You put a tennis ball in the food dish, and dog has to nibble the food around the ball, slowing down. It works!
    6) Walk your dog more. Walk 3 miles daily, cured.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 2:58 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• My dog is super gassy!! I find that she is the gassiest if she gets tablefood from anyone, or after she chews on those rawhides bones or chewsticks. Sometimes when it gets too bad I will give her some of the Infant Mylicon Gas drops. They usually help, but it sometimes takes them a while to kick in!! lol.
    BeulahBuford

Answer by BeulahBuford at 4:57 PM on Jun. 26, 2011