Appropriate or not?

Ok so if DH and I got pregnant this cycle we would find out the gender of the baby about 1-2 weeks before my DD's 4th birthday. Well she has been PRAYING non-stop for a new baby so I was thinking that at her birthday I would wrap either a pink or blue outfit (depends on the gender of the baby) and have her open it at her party and that would be our way of telling her and the rest of the family if the baby was a boy or girl. I really want to surprise her but at the same time I dont want to make her day about the new baby, KWIM? So, what do you ladies think? Is it innapropriate??

Mikayla_lynn

Asked by Mikayla_lynn at 7:57 PM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think it is cute but better done privately and not in a party situation.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 7:59 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Maybe don't do it at the party, but at a special outing with your hubby and the kiddo before or after the party...where it can be a nice surpise for her, but not take away from HER day, you know?
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 8:00 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Yeah like after all is over have another gift you "forgot" about and that be it.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 8:02 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Great! Thanks ladies!! I will have to plan something cute, maybe a separate party at our house the day or two after we find out and have them dye the inside of the cake?? Then it would be like a family celebration?
    Mikayla_lynn

Comment by Mikayla_lynn (original poster) at 8:04 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Yeah , Maybe you could have a small party with just family , and another with friends , But If you have a famly party . let her open her presents , then a lil later after that . Say your forgot one , and have the family gather around and watch , hope I helped (:
    des11987

Answer by des11987 at 8:10 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I think it is a cute idea. I like the cake idea, too, though. My family probably wouldn't have given a second thought to stealing away a moment at a party, though, because we are together so much that everybody talks about everything constantly...so that could make my thinking different. A separate party would eliminate that concern, and it is a very cute idea.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:12 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• For one of my nephew's first birthday my in-laws dressed him in an "I'm the Big Brother" shirt. maybe make a shirt like that for her and give it to her as a special present first thing in the morning on her birthday. At the same time tell her if she's getting a little brother or sister, but make the actual party about HER, wearing her new shirt.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:17 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Oh, I really like the cake idea too. Between her in her new shirt and the pink/blue cake that would be plenty subtle enough for me, AND your daughter would already know. :)
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:18 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I think you should let her know but privately. Her B-day party is all about her. She might feel a little sad that you put her in the spot with that kind of idea. Not bad, but just too mature for her to react in a certain way. She might not react how you expect her to. :)
    Edilma

Answer by Edilma at 8:23 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I like the idea, but I would do it before her birthday so she knows the news before the rest of the family and feels extra special. (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:23 PM on Jun. 25, 2011