Can joyfullness ever be wrong?

I don't care what faith you practice, what the specific rules of it might be, how can anything that makes people truly love their fellow man, joyful of the moment and the potential for love and happiness around them, be wrong? Is there really any religion that preaches people should be made miserable - or is that a construct of men trying to mold religion to their own desires?

I have friends and family who mean more to me than words can express, who are also glbt. The idea that they can marry someone they love without worry in one more state makes me joyful. The idea that if something were ever to happen to me and DH, I have the option to name them guardian, and one less state is going to raise hell about it makes me peaceful and glad.

What reason should anyone have to look at this situation and be anything but happy about the peace and happiness it brings to others? It doesn't take away from anyone, or what they already have. It doesn't force anyone who is not gay to enter into a gay marriage. How is it wrong?

Even if you cite scripture that you personally interpret as your own religion saying that gay relationships are wrong, ONLY amongst adherents of your own religion, how does that apply to anyone who does not practice it, or anyone who interprets it differently? That law is not Ceasar's.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:15 PM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 8:39 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I'm joyful too!
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 8:46 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Joy is a fruit of the spirit, so it's like a gift from God. Joy is not a bad thing. Everyone has to make their own choices in life and take the consquences for those choices (be it good or bad consequences). This applies to sexual choices as much as anything else.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:32 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I believe in joyfulness, and I believe all religions can and should access it. Joy is rooted in love. Both of these emotions are available to all living humans.
    lilangilyn

Answer by lilangilyn at 10:35 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Joyfulness unto itself is not bad. What leads to the particular joyfulness can be
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 10:12 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• And it's back to the same old gay never-ending gay marriage loop
    adnilm

• I believe the word of Jesus was: love, compassion, humility and equality- none of that precludes gay marriage- I actually think it encourages one to accept that a relationship that does no harm should be honored- I feel like as a Christian to not accept gay marriage goes against what Jesus taught- JMO
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:35 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• In Judaism, its actually a commandment to be joyful. However, we must strive to be joyful for the right reasons. If I'm jumping for joy because someone I disliked passed away, that's not right. We should find the joy in doing the right thing, in the holiness of our feelings and actions. If the feeling of joy comes from something that's not leading to holiness, then it's not real, appropiate joy.
    So in the specific case you mentioned, well if someone told me that, I'd feel happy for them, secularly speaking, if you know what I mean. I'm not one to "punish" a person for doing what I think is wrong, everyone has a right to do what I think is wrong. But their happiness would make me happy. I wouldn't get the feeling of joy that comes from holiness, though.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 12:12 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Joy and happiness are two different things. Doing what makes you joyful is never wrong, doing what makes you happy can be wrong.

Answer by missanc at 12:13 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• There is never anything wrong with Joyfulness itself. However I find a great many things wrong with some of the things people do to attain it... For instance I was just watching a documentary about Auschwitz and the horrors that many of those innocent people were put through simply for the "entertainment" of those in power. To gain joy from someone elses pain is in the vast majority of cases disturbing and wrong. Please note however that I say the "vast majority" and not all, I find no fault in those who find joy in Justice - even when carried out through pain or death...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:23 PM on Jun. 26, 2011