7th month old w/ EXTREME separation anxiety...What can I do?!

Alright so basically my daughter is almost seven months old and I'm a single mom (my family lives across the country and her dad isn't involved so I don't really get help, it's all me). Lately she's become increasingly attached. At first I thought it was a phase but it's getting worse. I live in a one bedroom studio so I know she's used to always seeing me but now when we are home I literally can not put her down or even go to the bathroom without her screaming crying. She also used to be fine when my friends came over but now she won't even let them hold her. When we go out it is not as difficult, so it seems that basically when we are home, she HAS to be with me. I've tried letting her cry for a while (so she realizes I won't always pick her up), but that didn't work out well. Anyone have any suggestions?? Some people tell me if I don't deal with this now, she'll never change- others say it's probably just a phase..

lexi8622

Asked by lexi8622 at 12:29 AM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Aww, Mama! I know this is a hard time you, but it will get better! There are a couple things I would suggest. I was the type of mom w/my LO's that I would allow my kids to be near me during their separation anxiety stage. Everyone around me poo-pood me for it, but all my kids are really self confident now. I think it helps them build self confidence, something YOU want for your child!! I would help, her (and you) by doing this: sit her down with a few toys on the floor and play with her, then say "Mame be right back" and go around the corner out of sight and immediately pop right back and say excitedly "MAMA'S BACK!"

cont'd
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 12:48 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Start with peek-a-boo if she cries. Then go to hiding. Each time you POP back, make it a little longer. This turns it into a game, but she is learning that when you say you'll be back, you will be. You can talk to her b/4 getting her from her crib and say "Where's ______ (say baby's name)?" And then pop in and say "THERE SHE IS!" This will take a few days, but she will get better!
    Babylove76

• I think babylove has a great idea!! My ds (9mths) is the same way. All my kids were and they are fine now. It lasted I think from about 7 mths-14 mths or so GoodLuck!
    NoGirlsAllowed

Answer by NoGirlsAllowed at 1:53 PM on Dec. 14, 2008