Is This Normal?

This might be a little personal, but I don't have health insurance anymore so I can't really go ask a doctor...buuut..

My son is 6 months old and I am JUST getting my period..and my question is, is it normal to be super heavy? I mean my had a relatively heavy flow before I conceived, but this is ridiculous lol.

Is this normal?

kimandeverrett

Asked by kimandeverrett at 8:57 PM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Health

• If you are breastfeeding you shouldn't be having periods. If not, maybe it is just your right flow now. it might regulate in the future. If it looks like dark old blood you should go to see your doctor. If is bright red...it should be normal. I know this because my sister had the same situation as you and that's what her gynecologist said. She stopped breastfeeding at 9 months and she got her period soon after and it was a heavy bright red flow. She told her it was normal that it will regulate in the future. If you think is not, you should still see your doctor for a peace of mind. :)
    Edilma

Answer by Edilma at 9:06 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• If you are breastfeeding you shouldn't be having periods. <-- that's not necessarily true for everyone!!

Can you at least call and ask your OB & talk to the nurse?? Just tell them you can't come in if they say you have to - you are just trying to figure out what's normal and what to be concerned about.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:40 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I am breastfeeding. And it is bright red. So that is normal then? I assumed I was fine but I figured I'd ask the wonderful cafe mommas before I got too worried. At least my cramps are tolerable after going through child birth hahaha. =D
    kimandeverrett

Comment by kimandeverrett (original poster) at 10:18 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• first period after child birth is always SUPER heavy... idk why but with all three of mine it was.
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 4:16 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Thanks mrsary! It sort of makes sense, just frustrating haha. I haven't had it in over a year. I hate it!
    kimandeverrett

Comment by kimandeverrett (original poster) at 11:55 PM on Jun. 26, 2011