• In the Spotlight:

What's the oldest non-special needs child you've known who is not potty trained?

I'm getting frustrated with potty training! UGH!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Dec. 14, 2008 in General Parenting

• 2...but (not saying that you did) if you missed/ignored the signs, then you missed your "window of opportunity" and it will take longer than normal, or at least until your little one will be interested again. GL and don't worry. you'll get it!
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:49 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I've known 3 yr olds who were not potty trained. Like anything else, kids will potty train at their own time. Some do it much earlier than others. The only thing I can tell you is...persistence. Do not keep putting your little one back in diapers if you are trying to get them to stay dry. That really only confuses them. Use cloth training pants so they can feel wet when they go. I always preferred training during the summer so I could just put them in a long t-shirt with nothing on underneath. It made them realize a lot quicker when they needed to use the potty! Hang in there!
    nAfrenzy

Answer by nAfrenzy at 12:53 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• 4. he just did not cooperate with potty training until one day his mommy got sick of him just going in his pull ups that she put real underwear on him. He had one accident and then figured out THAT SUCKS :)
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 12:55 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• A friend's son had down's syndrome and was not fully potty trained at 15 when I met him. So it just depends on the special need and the cognitive and physical functioning of that child.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:02 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Three is the average age for kids to potty train. I don't know why people have started to push for them to do it earlier and earlier. The oldest kid I've known was my middle daughter. She was 3 years and 8 months and we just couldn't figure out what her problem was. She understood the concept and would gladly sit on the toilet but would say she didn't have to go or was done then 5 minutes later she would go in her pants. All kids are different. My oldest daughter, who is very smart but very stubborn, was 3 years, 2 months old. My son was about 2 1/2. He was easy to train. My youngest daughter just started using the potty before Thanksgiving. She is 2 1/2 (she'll be 3 in April). She goes all by herself now with no help and without being reminded.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:05 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I have a friend that didn't even start potty training her son until he was 3 years old. My girls are 2 and both potty trained. I agree with the first poster, they give you that window of opportunity and if you miss it, it's harder to get them trained. I missed it with my older of the two, and it took a little longer to get her potty trained. My second daughter is just stubborn!! She's only been potty trained for about 3 weeks now. All kids are different....hang in there! I know what you're going through.
    LizClara

Answer by LizClara at 2:28 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• 3 really close to 4. Mom was really busy working and couldn't push the issue like she wanted to then she took the summer off and the kid was potty trained with in a few weeks. Mine were all around 2 1/2 years old. I tried earlier than that but it never worked.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 10:54 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• My niece was almost 5. She just wouldn't do it. She still has accidents in 1st grade. She is a little slow socially, imo, but considered normal.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 11:23 AM on Dec. 14, 2008