Shared fears with your kids?

I am terrified of spiders. And I've noticed over the years, my kids have slowly become scared of them, too. It's hard to say they are harmless or they shouldn't be scared when they see my reaction.

Have any of you passed your phobias on to your kids without meaning to?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 PM on Jun. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• Unfortunately
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 9:46 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I don't see it with my own kids, but I do see it with the child of a good friend. My friend is very fearful of a lot of things and has a lot of anxiety, and through the years I have watched her daughter grow increasingly fearful over the same things that her mom worries about (ie. being assertive, social situations, etc.) My only real 'phobia' is moths/butterflies and my kids aren't afraid of them and actually keep telling me that butterflies are pretty and won't hurt me! My son is terrified of dogs but he doesn't get that from me... I love dogs, but he is frightened of all of them, whether they are dobermans or toy poodles.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:40 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• All of my kids are afraid of snakes and I'm sure they got it from me.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 9:46 AM on Jun. 27, 2011