Eveytime i put my 6 month old on her back she crys. What can i do and why is she doing this?

I lay her on her back to change her diaper, and after her bath to dry her and get her dressed andshe crys and trys to get up. She does a crunch to get up and just gets really upset. What can i do to help her and why is she doing this? Should I ask her pediatrician (sp)??

beautifulang247

Asked by beautifulang247 at 12:51 AM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This is totally normal I think. My daughter is 6 1/2 months and she refuses to ever lay on her back. During her diaper changes I always have to give her something or she's luckily usually distracted by the diaper wipes box (it's very bright lol)...but besides that she won't lay on her back. That's also how I used to put her to sleep though so I think she feels like I'm trying to make her sleep when she's on her back. Can your daughter sit up on her own though? Because ever since my daughter started doing that, getting her to lie down was even harder but now at least she can sit up alone so she just rather do that.
    lexi8622

Answer by lexi8622 at 1:15 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• she sounds pretty normal to me :) all 3 of mine did that. it's just something about them just being interested in everything! and not wanting to lay still, or heck, even lay down at times. try giving her a toy or few to play with while she's laying there.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 12:52 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• either she doesn't like laying down, or she has an ear infection. i'd check it out with the pedi.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:52 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• She's in her independent stage and you are interrupting her exploring! Mine all did this and so I would keep a few really cool toys given to her only during diaper changes to try to keep her attention. Rotate the toys each time so that she doesn't get bored with it and "figure" out your trick!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 12:54 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Have you given her much oppourtunity to do so before now? It might be that she just has been held too much and istn sure about being left withour arms around her. Just let her get used to it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Dec. 14, 2008