People experienced with disability...

I am 19 years old and experienced three separate back injuries (only one of which is documented) that have left me with bouts of debilitating back pain at least once a month. I already have trouble lifting my 42 lb, 2 year-old son on a regular basis so there's no way I can do work that requires lifting. I can't stand for long periods of time without back pain and I get numbness in my legs and arms. I have had an MRI and been diagnosed with degenerative disc disease. I was given a prescription for moderate pain killers as needed. This was when I was 17 and (I generally don't like to complain so I only went when the pain prevented normal movement, to the point where unless my neck and torso remained entirely stationary the pain was excruciating) I have only been in once since then. I have family that can vouch for this. They have seen me on my worst days of pain and my days without pain and they can tell anyone that it's like night and day. However, with medical records being only a year old and only one previous job (with and injury on record because I hurt my back again getting something out of the freezer) will this be enough for me to get disability?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 PM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Money & Work

• I don't think so. I also suffer from the same thing, but I am in my 40's. I was involved in two major accidents as a teen. I have suffered with this most of my life. I just try to find jobs that I can sit at. If I do have to stand, it's bad. Unfortunately, I still have to stand, lift and walk a great majority of my life. The Dr. tried to put me on meds such as Neurontin, but I won't take it. I'm not sure, as I have never tried to get disability, but I'd think it would be a pretty complicated process. ?????

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:56 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Possible Medical Disability Conditions *-

Disability due to: Cancer, diabetes, type 2 diabetes, diabetic neuropathy, Lupus, crohn's disease or crohns, Multiple Sclerosis or MS, rheumatoid arthritis, diverticulitis, back surgery, heart surgery, high blood pressure (hypertension), hip, neck, shoulder, ankle, wrist, back, or other joint problems, disc herniation, hydrocephalitis, interstitial cystitis, degenerative disc disease, spinal stenosis, carpal tunnel syndrome, rsi or repetitive stress injury, inflammatory bowel disease, liver disease, Parkinson's disease, ulcerative colitis, irritable bowel syndrome, kidney disease, arthritis, dysthymia, depression or other mood disorders. Congestive or Chronic Heart Failure, Type 1 Seizure Disorder, Stroke, COPD, Auto immune system disease, emphysema, hearing loss or poor hearing, statutory blindness, Peripheral Field Problems or Other Vision Loss, cont.....
    ssa.gov
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 10:24 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• As of now, your chances of getting disability are slim to none. Of course there are those rare cases that get it without a fight, but for most people, you're looking at something that can take years when factoring in Dr's appointments, tests, more tests, hearings, denials, getting a lawyer, more tests, more hearings, etc. Sorry to tell you, but it's likely that this won't be a quick or easy process for you.
    PTmomma3

Answer by PTmomma3 at 9:55 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• It never hurts to try. They will turn you down to begin with. They do that as a screening tactic. Keep appealing it. They will send you to their doctors to verify your condition. If you have insurance I'd keep going to your doctor to have documentation they can use, too.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:01 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• My mom has both of knees replaced, had over 30 surgeries since a car accident when she was 18, and can barely walk. All of it is documented with tons of doctor visits and she is on daily strong pain killers. She is now 52 and has been denied disability three times. Each time they have told her to obtain employment in an office setting where she can sit down and work. I am guessing with her long history being denied, yours of only a year would be as well, with the same suggestion.
    marybeth927

Answer by marybeth927 at 10:23 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Clinical Obesity or Morbidly Obese, attention deficit hyper activity or ADHD, bipolar disorder or manic depression, panic disorder, schizophrenia, autism, head trauma or brain injury. Low IQ, mental retardation, learning disability, epilepsy, cancer, chronic fatigue, lupus, anxiety, inner ear problems, meniere's, vertigo or dizziness, kidney failure requiring dialysis or other renal problems, cirrhosis of the liver, hepatitis C or other liver disease, pancreatitis, osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, asthma, bronchitis, cystic fibrosis, rsd or reflex sympathetic dystrophy, sarcoidosis, peripheral vascular disease, lyme disease, cerebral palsy, rheumatoid arthritis, cont...

ssa.gov
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 10:25 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• down syndrome, hiv, aids, anemia, sickle cell, thyroid problems including hypothyroidism, esrd or end stage renal disease, reflux, GERD (gastro esophageal reflux disease), cfids, muscular dystrophy, coronary artery disease, cardiomyopathy, or tachycardia, bradycardia or other arrhythmia. ssa.gov
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 10:26 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Shouldn't you still be on a workers comp claim from the injury at work?
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 9:17 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• The main criteria for back injuries is documented (meaning nerve induction tests) loss of movement and/or coordination. At that point it isn't an issue of 'your' discomfort, it's an issue of safety and OSHA regs for any employer. If you tend to fall a lot, if your legs won't go where you tell them to, etc. you become unemployable for many positions ~ and an insurance increase to ALL employers. That is what they go by ~ not so much by your actual disability and definitely not your comfort or quality of life.

With only a year of employment, you won't qualify for SSDI and even if you did, your check would be so low that you couldn't survive on it. They average your highest 5 years and you get *I think* 60% of that. You might want to check into SSI which is for people who don't qualify for SSDI.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 1:13 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• It might be hard for you to get disablity regarding your bad back. Some people who have had a hip replacement are also trying to apply foor disability have not been approved. You would also need to present records of all your claims if you would want to apply.

CatRus09

Answer by CatRus09 at 5:56 PM on Mar. 23, 2012