Lonely and depressed

For the past few months I have been very depressed. I hardly get a chance to go out with adults. I am either working or at home with my 5 year old son. I lost my car about 5 months ago and since then my social life has gone in the toilet. I do get to go out occasionally. I hate asking people for rides. It's bad enough I have to ask people to take me to the grocery store. I feel like I have lost a lot of friends. I am having surgery in a couple days. I will be unable to do alot for myself once I get home. I have no one to help me. I have asked a few people if they could just stop by every once in a while and was told that they probably couldn't. I feel really really alone and want to give up on my friends. Isn't weird that when you're in a good mood and happy everyone wants to be around you. But, when you really need them, nobody is there. Maybe I'm just feeling sorry for myself. What would you do if you were in the same position?

Michelle0805

Asked by Michelle0805 at 10:02 PM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Relationships

• huuum well I would say if your friends are not around then there not your true friends to begin with. also there not the ones that can get you out of your slump because only you can do that.I am a single mom also and I know how it can be with you feel alone but picking yourself back up is the best thing you can do and finding your own strength from this.I can remember riding the bus and calling cabs because I didn't have anyone in my corner and i survived through it all and now I'm the one on top while my so called friends wished they had a good friend like me around still but no i left them in my past.Look at it this way there is no other place to go for you but up right now because your already low so find a motivator and take this time out to get yourself together.
    beauti_ful

Answer by beauti_ful at 2:15 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I'm sorry to hear what a struggle you're in right now. After your surgery is over and you're health is better and back on your feet. Is there something that's keeping you from getting a car? Honestly, I believe that true friends don't just run off or brush off when someone needs a helping hand. Those to me don't sound like true friends but rather people who like the good times only with you. I never had a need for people like that. I can certainly see why you're depressed and bummed out with all of this. What's the answer to getting yourself a car would be my first priority as soon as I was well.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 10:54 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• aww im sorry u are feeling that way! sometimes i feel that way too! i am a stay at home mom with a three year old and one on the way in august and i also watch my 2 year old niece all week and my hubby isnt around much he works about 50 hours a week. Do u have a hubby or SO that can help u after surgery?
    mommie_of02

Answer by mommie_of02 at 10:07 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I am a single mom. No SO. My son will be staying at his dads while I recover.
    Michelle0805

Comment by Michelle0805 (original poster) at 10:11 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• It's true, people do want to be around people who make them feel good. Being around depressed people is draining. Start to look at your situation as an issue but not one that will bring you down. It's okay to ask for help occassionally. In spite of what life is throwing at you right now they only choices you can make is to let it affect your life or to continue having fun no matter what. I lost alot of friends when I was depressed and now that I'm good with things, I totally understand why. Major downer if someone is going to complain. Not trying to be mean, just want you to try a new approach and maybe people will come when they know they can make you smile and are appreciated. Give it a try.
    TwinkleLites

Answer by TwinkleLites at 10:12 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I don't have a car and no one to ask to take me to the grocery. It's too hard for me to carry most things so I have to order them online. I get food delivered from www.schwann.com (could be schwanns.com now that I think of it) and get detergent, body wash, shampoo, toilet tissue, etc delivered by www.walmart.com. Schwann's has $1.00 delivery charge and Walmart charges as little as 97 cents for shipping. I"m sure other sites help as well. Not sure what to say about the lonely. I am too. I go to the library and hang out there sometimes. If you get too lonely just PM me. I'm usually around. I don't go out much.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:14 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I am so sorry you are dealing with this. Depression is a horrible thing. I deal with it as well. I too am a sahm and don't get out much. I moved to no.Ca and left a lot of friends behind so I am here with my dh and kids. I don't know why your so called friends are acting the way they are. That is terrible. I wish I could help. I am here if you ever need to chat. Take care and good luck with your surgery and recovery.
    zoomomto3

Answer by zoomomto3 at 10:16 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• My finances forced me to give up my car. I understand that my friends have their own lives. I mostly do everything on my own by taking the bus. I do ask for a ride to the grocery store about twice a month. Otherwise, I don't want to be a bother to people. When I am out with people, I don't complain because I have nothing to complain about. I do get very lonely though. I'm sure it will pass. Thanks everyone who replied. Hope everyone has a wonderful day.
    Michelle0805

Comment by Michelle0805 (original poster) at 11:37 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I understand I used to have friends like this. Its a shame you dont have relatives or anyone who could come and make you mealsor just check in and bring you your mail..Im sorry to hear about your situation I hope things het better for you! GL!
    Heather021287

Answer by Heather021287 at 12:55 AM on Jun. 26, 2011