Dog skin irratation

our new dog always is scraching, he doesnt have fleas but, the hair on legs is gone. Can anyone help. We got em off craigslist... hes a great dog other than that!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Pets

• honey, get him to a vet, it might be mange!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I would ask the vet as well. If they rule out mange, he could also just have skin problems. Dogs have allergies and skin conditions too. If he wasn't really taken care of, he could have other issues as well. Also, I do know that some dogs are just more prone to scatching, as if it were a nervous habit.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 1:05 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• No its not mange. He just is always scratching. He doesnt have an sores or anything. I got em from a nice family... they just had a new baby and moved and thought he needs attn. Hes a pom and very cute!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• My dog is having the exact same issue. First rule out any physical problems and then make sure it's not a seperation anxiety issue. Neither of which was causing our dog any issues either. We then relized that he has allergies. In our case it was to his food. He's been on the food for 6 months, but the vet said that they can have allergy built ups. We put him on human food for 3 days amd ALL the itching stopped. We're now going through and trying different dog foods. We've been told that common food allergies can be to whey, soy, corn, or milk to name a few.

Something else to consider is his treats, toys, and what you use to wash his bedding with. Vets can also prescribe anti-itch medications for your pup.

GOOD LUCK!!!
    FemaleRacer

Answer by FemaleRacer at 6:09 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• take him to the vet for a full check up
    Thalie

Answer by Thalie at 2:16 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• my dog has the same problem...shes a pitbull and im slowly finding out that that breed has skin problems..let me know if you find anything out. im trying different shampoos right now. good luck
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 3:11 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Definitely ck to see if the food you are feeding is different from the one he was on. Also ck him out with your vet to see if this is an allergy or anxiety problem. all can be treated once you narrow it down. There are meds you can give to help him, but you need to ck with your vet first to see what he needs. Shampoes, such as oatmeal and other medicated  soaps are good to help relieve the itching. Add some Omega oil (fish oil) to his food and that will help put the fatty acids back into his skin to help the itching. Ihave 3 dogs and 4 ctas and used to have the same problems. But changed food and added omega and medicated baths and we are doing fine now. Good luck...

doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 7:32 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• There is a product called Sulfodene. They have it as a liquid you can apply directly to the affected area and they also have it in shampoo form. My dog had the same problem and it worked wonders. When I was managing the pet dept. I highly reccommended it to customers with pups that had dry and irritated skin.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 11:34 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• could be allergy...... depends on the weight on how much to give but I give mind a benatyl and it helps
    Deb1957

Answer by Deb1957 at 7:18 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Check with a vet. Also it could possibly be an allergic reaction to something in the dog food.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 7:42 PM on Dec. 28, 2008