Off of Prozac, TTC

I came off of my Prozac when we decided to try to get pregnant. Things were going okay (I felt slightly depressed and more anxious, but nothing unmanageable) until I had an early miscarriage. Now I've become depressed a a lot of the time. I'm even starting to have second thoughts due to being depressed, even though I know in my head that it's just my brain tricking me.

I don't really know if I have an actual question here, just looking for support to keep trying and/or anything from anyone who has gone through a similar situation.

cypressandsage

Asked by cypressandsage at 10:21 PM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• I think you have to be very careful when coming off of antidepressants. They should be weaned off of very gradually. My son had bad withdrawal symptoms from Effexor and ended up having to be put back on it. Have you tried to relieve your stress in other ways? Exercise works wonders on depression.
    lilangilyn

Answer by lilangilyn at 10:26 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Yep, I went off all my meds ttc, my husband told me a few days ago that I'm crazy and need to go back on them so I said "ok, I will get on birth control too since I won't get pregnant on a bunch of meds" and he was like "no, it's ok" cuz he wants a baby really bad.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 10:28 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Prozac is considered the safest anti-depressant while pregnant. Trust me, I know this because I am on Zoloft (prozac doesnt work for me) and the doctor tried to get me to switch. Anyways, what my psychiatrist told me was....if you are not healthy then the baby is not healthy. You have to take care of yourself first before the baby can be healthy. SO I chose to stay on my meds because like you, I wanted to wean myself off. I could NOT handle it. I was a crazy bia and just really down about everything. It's not worth it to go 9 months like that. So I'm on Zoloft and doing fine. I was on Lexapro which worked amazingly but thats not safe for pregnancy.

Anyways, hope this helps!
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 10:52 PM on Jun. 25, 2011