Wiccan Celebrations

I was just wondering if there were any Wiccan mothers out there and if so, what do you celebrate? My family is Christian so I grew up celebrating those holidays but want to incorporate more of the pagan "holidays" into my son's life. My other question is, if you do celebrate pagan holidays, how does your family celebrate them?

alinker

Asked by alinker at 1:09 AM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• There are lots of Wiccan and Pagan mommas on here. What holidays they celebrate and what they call their holidays depends on their particular belief system though. Most Wiccans celebrate The Wheel of the Year with either 4 or 8 solar holidays (Sabbats). Many Wiccans also celebrate lunar holidays (Esbats) as well. There are lots of web sites and books that go into more detail about the holidays than I can here. Since you are doing this for your son, I'd particularly recommend books that are geared toward kids and families like Ashleen O'Gaea's "The Family Wicca Book" or "Circle Round" by Starhawk, Diane Baker & Anne Hill. For you, I'd also recommend some basic books like Scott Cunnigham's "Wicca" and "Living Wicca".
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 1:46 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Grrr...I don't like the character limits on these answers!!

To continue: There are also books written on each holiday by various authors that have lots of ideas for what to do on each holiday. You can find them on Amazon, half.com etc. by searching for some of the most common names for the Sabbats:

Yule (~ Dec 21 - winter solstice)
    Imbolc (Feb 2)
    Ostara (~ March 21 - spring equinox)
    Beltane (April 30/May 1)
    Midsummer (~ June 21 - summer solstice)
    Lughnasadh (July 31/Aug 1)
    Mabon (~ Sept 21 - autumn equinox)
    Samhain (Oct 31/Nov 1)
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 1:54 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Okay...just one more! On the surface our holidays don't look too different from their secular counterparts. Yule looks a lot like Christmas with presents, a tree, etc., it just happens on the 21st instead of the 25th. But we also light a Yule log and hold a vigil where we stay up all night to tend the fire. We tell stories, sing Pagan carols, and talk while we keep vigil. When the sun rises, we go outside to "welcome' it back from the longest night...then it's time for presents and a special Yule breakfast. Similarly, Ostara looks a lot like Easter. Imbolc has elements of Ground Hog Day. Lughnasadh and Mabon (being harvest festivals) seem like early Thanksgiving. Beltane is the May Day of old. And Samhain is part Halloween, part Dia de los Muertos. But we always have our own special traditions as well.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 2:12 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• We stay up all night and greet the sun! We incorporate some way of giving to others so that we will be able to recieve good fortune in the new year. We have lots of other customs but those are ones in particular my family does.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 5:13 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• For more about the Sabbats ( Wiccan holidays) and Esbats (Wiccan new moon rituals) a good book is Trancing The Witch's Wheel by Yasmine Galenorn. It is  published by Llewellyn and might have to be ordered if your local bookstore doesn't have it in stock. Anything written by the late Scott Cunningham is also VERY good, easy to read and instructive. The books mentioned above are all good, solid instruction, and no nonsense mixed in like you sometimes find in Pagan, Wiccan or even so-called "New Age" books.

pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 9:39 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I hope this helps in addition to what my sisters have said...

http://paganwiccan.about.com/od/holidaysandcelebrations/a/2009_Calendar.htm

This is the 2009 Pagan calendar and will not only provide you with dates but also with how do's, foods, crafts and other things to help you. You'll be surprised how much you are already doing!!

Just PM me with any questions!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:13 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• here is a good way to help him learn about both. Pagans celebrated the 25th as a day of rebirth (the birth of the sun god). It was celebrated for that as well as being thankful that the farming work was done. It was a day of relaxation. Later Christians decided since it was a holiday of rebirth, they wanted to incorporate it into there religion as well by celebrating the birth of Jesus (although it was not really his day of birth, it is a holiday that celebrates such so it seems fitting) Here is a good history of christmas http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas#History
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:39 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I celebrate christmas with my family, a day of feasting, presents, etc. Typically how it's been celebrated to centuries. (well not so much the presents, that happened later, but it's a good tradition that I like). Other holidays I celebrate the same and most everyone as well. But some people do like to celebrate more elaberately. here's a website that explains wiccan holidays as well as how they are typically celebrated. http://www.wicca.com/celtic/akasha/holindex.htm
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:43 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Thanks so much for your responses. I consider myself Wiccan because of my beliefs and such but did not know much about the celebrations. I think it's important, if I want to teach my son, to know more about it so we can start celebrating while he's still a baby. :) Thanks again for the responses!
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 11:28 PM on Dec. 15, 2008