Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Could a mom lose custody for not putting her kids in a carseat ?

Now i will start out by saying that I AM the step mom asking this... but I get along with the birth mother of my step children, I think normally she is a good mom... But now my husband has found out that she never puts their 2 year old and 4 year old in car seats...

She has put several pics on facebook of them playing in the backseat of the car, or laying on the seat sleeping - no carseats in the car, and you can tell the car is moving ( on of them is on the way home from a zoo trip, which is 2 hours away on the interstate) ..... and then this past week , we were watiing for them at the ballpark ( oldest SD teeball game) ... she pulled up with the 4 year old sitting up front - no seat bealt or anything....

So he has told her now that if she doesnt go and get carseats and make sure they are buckled up EVERYTIME they are in any vehicle, then he will bring it up in court ... She then gets mad and said that it is none of his buisness what happens in her car....

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 PM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Parenting Debate

Answers (20)
  • Yes. Thats absolutely neglect!!! And child endangerment!! I just asked my hubby and he said "Hell yeah!....where the hell did you read that?" Thats so wrong, and really makes me angry. I probably would IMMEDIATELY file for temp custody until a hearing can be put in place. Thats insane!!!

    Answer by mlmkjw at 10:37 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

  • It really depends on the state. In my state, the only consequence of not properly restraining your children in a carseat/seltbelt is a $30 fine. Now, if a person had 3 or more violations of this then CPS might get involved.

    Answer by JeremysMom at 10:39 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

  • Probably not. But she can be ticketed for improper safety seats. Your husband can take it to court and see what happens. There is no guarantee that it will happen, a judge can first order seats and then checks along the way for a certain period of time.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:40 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

  • I don't think losing custody,but certainly get into trouble with the law! If you see it,call the cops right then and there.

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:40 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

  • we live in Ohio...

    I doubt she has any other marks against her..

    we never suspected that she didnt have them in carseat until now...

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:41 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

  • Also it isnt that we WANT to take custody from her or anything like that... but obviously my husband wants to bring it up when they go to court, because he is worried about their safety - she flat out told us she will not put them in a carseat or seatbelt ...

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:43 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

  • If your concern is just about the carseat issue...not others..I wouldnt go for custody. I would warn her (like you said your dh did), and if she doesnt fix the problem. I'd probably call DHS. Once someone of authority is involved, maybe itll scare her into protecting her kids...thats sad it might take that, but it may be necessary.

    Answer by mlmkjw at 10:44 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

  • i would def bring it up. that is the safety of his children too. that scares me to think about it. wow.

    Answer by lambdarose at 10:49 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

  • i think she should! her kids could b killed cuz of this! i would bring it up in court! i have my 2 nieces as foster kids and when i got the 5 year old she was not in a car seat! i had to beg for the state to give me a car seat! sure a pain! in KS kids have to b at least booster seated until age 7!

    Answer by Caroline2010 at 10:50 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

  • That is sick and wrong. Unfortunately in my state u can be a meth addict and keep your kid.

    Answer by emmyandlisa at 10:52 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.