Low-income area PTO fundraiser ideas?

Hi ladies!

I am on the PTO this year at my son's school, and we are brainstorming for new PTO fundraiser ideas. This is my second year at the school, so I know last year we had the following, some were more successful than others:

Mr. Z's
Affy Tapples
Smencils
Y-Ties
Fannie May
Cookbooks
Jack Link's

We are in a low-income district, so we really can't do anything too expensive and expect great results. We also have very few parent volunteers, so that has to be taken into consideration, too.

Any ideas are welcome!

Thank you :)

beckie66

Asked by beckie66 at 10:45 PM on Jun. 25, 2011 in

• My former high school (my brother still attends) has started doing a silent auction type thing. People from the community donate items. For example, resturants, gas stations, grocery store will donate gift cards, people will donate gift baskets, pretty much anything. Then you can buy tickets, say 10 for $5 (or something). You write your name on the ticket and put your ticket in the basket/bag next to the item. Then a drawing is done and whoever wins gets the prize. This all depends on how much you can get donated or at a cheap price. We have a very small, rural, low-income community so it works out because everyone is willing to help out.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 11:25 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• my son's school does script cards. they are gift cards to places that you buy from the school for places you go shopping. so say like you buy gas at shell. you would buy a 20 dollar script card from the school and a certian percentage would go back to the school and you pay nothing more than you would spend anyway. There were alot of common store and things on the list. so the parents wouldn't be spending any more than they normally would for things just pay differently.
    mommy2boys03

Answer by mommy2boys03 at 10:56 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• My kids school did a restaurant night once a month were if you brought a flyer in from the school they would donate a certain percentage of your bill back to the school.
    jen699

Answer by jen699 at 11:12 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Car washing, is that possible? Get people from different communities to contribute food to school and have a "Fun International Food day". Do a walk for the school and get stores or companies to sponsor. You can get the kids to wear their own hand painted slogans on their T-shirts. School can get the kids to buy the while or self colored t-shirt donated by community shops.
    cafenatesha

Answer by cafenatesha at 12:57 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Thank you for that idea :)
    beckie66

Comment by beckie66 (original poster) at 11:09 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Interesting...thank you!

Keep 'em coming!!!
    beckie66

Comment by beckie66 (original poster) at 11:13 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Thank you for the idea!
    beckie66

Comment by beckie66 (original poster) at 11:28 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• bump

beckie66

Comment by beckie66 (original poster) at 7:53 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

Next question in
How to pay for MY college....

Next question overall (Relationships)
What to do?