Should insurance cover it?

To go with the GLBT questions sparked by the legislation passed in NY...do you think insurance should cover services for transgender individuals? Services generally include therapy, hormones, top surgery for FTMs, sometimes bottom surgery. What is your reasoning for your answer?

I am editing to add something. Many of you are bringing up medical need. Gender identity disorder is a medical condition. It is in the diagnostic manual. And treatment for said problem sometimes includes surgeries. So why should treatment be denied for a medical condition?

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 10:55 PM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Therapy and hormones, sure. They cover them for us. Surgery to alter gender, no. I tried to get a breast reduction due to excessive back pain and the insurance wouldn't cover it. For small breasted women, insurance doesn't cover implants. I think it's unreasonable to expect that they be covered for some, but not all. JMO
    marybeth927

Answer by marybeth927 at 10:58 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Honestly, I'm not completely "up" on this issue. But, to my knowledge, any elective surgery ESPECIALLY plastic surgery, isnt covered...so no. I dont believe it should be covered for them either. NOT because of who they are or what they wat to be....thats their live. Live it to the fullest. I just dont believe if you're chosing to change your body for yourself or your SO...not for medical reasons....then you should have to pay for it. You pay to cut and die your hair, you should pay for a boob job, and for sex changes.
    mlmkjw

Answer by mlmkjw at 10:59 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Yeah, sure, but you pay a higher premium for YOURSELF.

Just like paying for abortions....it's a choice, it's a lifestyle choice to change your gender or pump testosterone in your body......an individual should pay for that choice.

They should definitely not be paid for by state aid.
    Anonymous

• Personally I have nothing against transgender people, its their life not mine, but I have a slight issue with getting insurance to cover things that aren't a medical NEED. Them getting hormones and possibly the therapy are one thing, with a doctors recommendation for it, not just because they want it, because we dont just get things covered because its what they want. And surgeries to change gender shouldn't be covered in my opinion because most plastic surgery isn't covered, and that is a form of plastic surgery. I just don't think its fair when people that need or want plastic surgery for other reasons don't always have it covered by insurance.
    husky_grlie08

Answer by husky_grlie08 at 11:06 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• No, There is no medical reason.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:06 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Mlm- technically it is a medical condition. Gender identity disorder in the diagnostic manual and treatment for it for some includes surgery.
    purpleducky

Comment by purpleducky (original poster) at 11:07 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Medicaid for a sex change, I just can't get behind, identity disorder or not. I'm pretty sure my life would be a lot easier if I were a man but I don't think the taxpayers should foot the bill, lol. Private insurance doesn't bother me as much since the person would obviously be expected to pay their part of the bill. My insurance company denied me a breast reduction surgery for over a year, but thank goodness my big boobs and hard head was persistent because I fought back until they agreed to pay their part. You won't usually find me taking the side of insurance companies whose bottom line is to deny people medical care to increase their profit margin.
    PTmomma3

Answer by PTmomma3 at 11:25 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I lean more towards no. GID is in the DSM, treating it as a mental health issue. If someone with say, schizophrenia wanted to have a life altering surgery because of their condition, it wouldn't be approved either. If they want it to be treated like a medical condition, such as a hormone, dna, congenital type of legitimate physical problem, it should be pulled from the DSM and treated as such. Unfortunate as it is, insurance companies are not as helpful to mental diagnosis. Any of them. They can say GID is a non-mental diagnosis, but as long as its diagnosed by the DSM it will be treated that way by insurance.
    Trinity001

Answer by Trinity001 at 11:28 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Hormones are fine, anything else should be on your dime. It's just plastic surgery and that's not something that should be covered by insurance (unless you buy a specific policy) and definitely NOT by the state.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:37 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Only if they also will cover therapy for the liberals that promote this trend as part of their agenda to uniformity of gender.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 11:47 PM on Jun. 25, 2011