What is a born again Christian vs a Christian?

Is it that you are though being bad, so you start back up at go with a clean slate after you take Jesus into your heart?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:36 PM on Jul. 12, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• That's a tough one. I am a Christian but the term "born again" is something I don't understand and don't have a very positive opinion of. I will probably learn more about it through this post too - I'll have to keep checking. At times in my life I have been closer to God than at other times. I have sinned but have never had to be "born again" I just have my own personal dialogue going with God. Poster, correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure y'all will) but isn't "born again" sort of an evangelical term?
    Gotoyourmoms

Answer by Gotoyourmoms at 6:37 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• when you are a born again christan i just means that you have slipped away from god and his plans for your life and now you have come back to him and the christian ways..
    chelseychae

Answer by chelseychae at 5:56 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Being a born again Christian is where you have personally asked the Lord to be your Saviour. You are being "born again".
    sunshinepraying

Answer by sunshinepraying at 6:35 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• When you are "born again", you are starting new with the Lord. You don't have to be going through a rough time in order to do that. You can do it at anytime. You are just rededicating your life to the Lord.
    sunshinepraying

Answer by sunshinepraying at 6:36 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• There is no difference technically. ALL Christians are "born again" Read John 3. However many people use it as a slang term to represent more devout/evangelical Christians.
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 7:01 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• We are all sinners and when a person becomes born-again they are getting rid of their old ways and becoming a new person in Christ..

John 3...Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again.[a]"
    5Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit.
    15And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again. 2 Cor 5:16So from now on we regard no one from a worldly point of view. Though we once regarded Christ in this way, we do so no longer. 17Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! It is when a person confesses their sin to Christ and follow his way and not their own..

jenandrews

Answer by jenandrews at 7:21 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• I pray that this will answer your question. Others may look at you as a Christian as a title because you go to church, know the role. But a born again christain is those that have a relationship with God, know they have faults, confess so they can be healed.
    John 3:5-6 says: Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
    jesspraise35

Answer by jesspraise35 at 7:52 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• The term "born again" is in the Bible, but it's meaning controversial in its interpretation. Various sects disagree about what it truly means. For instance, Catholics basically take that scripture in relation to baptism, whereas, Evangelicals or born -again Christians take it to mean it as being the moment you "pray to accept Jesus into your heart and have a personal relationship with him." The latter is appealing to older humans (teens and up as opposed to babies) as many have messed up and are looking for a fresh start; clean slate type thing.
    Jazzmim

Answer by Jazzmim at 8:03 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• "pray to accept Jesus into your heart and have a personal relationship with him."
    The catholics I know believe this too. IMO it is the more liberal faith systems that have redefined the original meaning of the phrase as Jesus uses it in John 3. It's really only controversial between the ultra conservative and ultra liberal faiths, imo.
    In my experience and study it has been non-believers or liberals who use the slang variation making it mean something other than how Jesus used it, which is where the confusion ultimately resides.
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 8:08 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• They are the same in my book.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 8:15 PM on Jul. 12, 2008