Nursing to sleep

If you LO nurses to sleep, how long was it before they fell asleep without nursing? My DS is 1 month 1 week and normally won't go to sleep unless he comfort nurses. Which is fine, but exhausting. We normally end up falling asleep in the recliner together. Very rarely we'll get him to fall asleep while rocking. Patting his back works but only after I've nursed him for awhile and he's half asleep anyway.

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 11:21 PM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It was a while. I started by unlatching them when they were asleep, then when they were almost done and so tired they'd sleep, then they didn't have to do it so much. I'm guessing around 6 months, because 6-8 months is when I started transitioning them to their own space, and that was the first step.

I found it exhausting also, especially with my last baby, who nursed ALL THE TIME. She has been totally weaned for about 2 months now and it's a freedom I just love.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 11:25 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I nursed my son to sleep for 31 months...
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 11:22 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• until about 11 months. I wish I could still do it...
    Towards the end I would nurse dd to sleep on our couch rather than our bed because she was transitioning into her own crib in a room with her brother.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:36 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Yeah, it generally lasts awhile! DS did it for about a year, and then I night weaned him about that time. It was definitely his favorite way t go to sleep! Keep trying different things. I know it's SO exhausting. Try the swing, bouncy chair, moving car, etc. Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:03 AM on Jun. 26, 2011