How do I know if breast milk I unfreeze is still good?

I unfroze breast milk for the first time today and it smelled different than it usually does and looked different. I just froze it 5weeks ago. It's almost as if it has seperated and when I shake it up it still has little particles that won't mix up. Is this normal or has it gone bad?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 PM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It may have separated. If you shake it up does it come together again?
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:25 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• No it is normals for it to have a bit of a smell sometimes it has to do with the enzymes. 5 weeks is FINE. It can be good up to 5 months... Here check this out here. LINK  I LOVE this site for breastfeeding ANYTHING.  lol

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:26 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• 5 weeks is fine! i have breast milk im using from feb!!! i put mine in a deep freezer just for my milk! i EP for 14 months!! so i have a great stash left!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 12:48 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• It's probably fine after such a short time, but you can taste it...if it's bad, it'll be sour, like when milk goes bad. Sometimes the odor can change with freezing.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:54 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• It usually comes together after I warm it up...I doubt its bad because I donated breast milk before and I had the milk frozen for atleadt 4 weeks before I was able to send it off. I think its fine.
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 3:20 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• it always smells and looks different after its been frozen
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 10:20 PM on Jun. 26, 2011