Getting a foreign exchange student this summer for two weeks, any advice from those who have done it?

JackieGirl007

Asked by JackieGirl007 at 11:26 PM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Just for Fun

• We had a foreign exchange student for a year, so if you have any more questions, just send me a message.
    When she first arrived, we took photos. A few days later, I had them developed, and got her help in putting them into a scrapbook. I wish we had kept this up! She lost her camera while she was here and when home with very few pictures! I would recommend this as a great activity every couple of days. It's a good way to review and remember what she's done, and build her vocabulary in a friendly way.
    How old is the child? All kids may feel a bit homesick or shy. Try to cook a few meals that they are familiar with, to comfort them, even though they came to your country to experience your foods.
    Ask the child to prepare a favorite meal, and teach you how to fix it. Great for building relationship, and for learning. Most exchange students expect to do this anyway.
    Take a trip to someplace special or interesting in your area.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 12:54 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Thank you SO SO SO MUCH!!! I love the scrapbook idea, gotta do that! Anything else? Did you enjoy the experience?
    JackieGirl007

Comment by JackieGirl007 (original poster) at 12:58 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I loved it. I really fell in love with the girl, and I miss her. We lost contact. I've moved, and her email address was through her parents. They haven't returned my emails. I think I loved her more than my daughter, who was the same age as she was. I would do it again in a heart beat, but right now we're renting, and have our home for sale out-of-state. Too many bills, to unstable. And I don't have any kids at home any more. But it was a wonderful experience. Are you doing it through 4H or some other program? 4H does a FANTASTIC job of it. My parents had a foreign exchange student when I was little - he was my older brothers' friend. It was not a good experience then. The boy came to the USA to find a market for his drugs. He didn't speak English and had no intention of going to school. But the 4H program offered year-round support - parties, swimming pool, counseling, etc.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 12:12 PM on Jun. 26, 2011