My DS HATES the sippy cup, help!

My son is almost 10 months old and he absolutely REFUSES to drink out of a sippy cup! I've tried to take it away little by little, I've tried cold turkey, I've tried it with milk and juice and water, I've tried the whole if ur thirsty you'll eventually drink from it! I've even tried drinking out of it in front of him, and tried drinking out of it then telling him, "no, mine"! Nothing works, what can I do to get him to drink from the sippy????!!!!!

PANZONSMOM

Asked by PANZONSMOM at 11:28 PM on Jun. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• Just hold off right now , and and try to introduce it again in a month or two , Hope i helped (:
    des11987

Answer by des11987 at 11:29 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• have you tried different valve types? My son loved the soft valve ones (gerber I think). My daughter did not like them at all. She would only drink out of hard plastic sippy valves (playtex). I would say just always have one available and if he gets thirsty enough he will come around to drinking out of one. I did diluted juice in a bottle and "full strenght" juice in a sippy to get my son to figure out how to sip out of one at first. I also stopped giving him a bottle during the day- only for nap or bed times (and eventually cut out the bottle all together).

Hope this helps!!
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:31 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Have you tried a cup w/ just a straw? DD never took A sippy.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:32 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Does he like straws? You can try the kind that have straws if he likes them or try the really soft tip of a sippy cup and see if he likes that. Or maybe help him with a regular cup if he'll use it, of course then you'll have to keep it up and away from him unless he wants a drink but it'll help. Or he just might not be ready, and you might have to wait a month or so. But I'd try as many different types as you can or even like the sport bottle type that he still can suck similar to a bottle. Good luck with it!
    husky_grlie08

Answer by husky_grlie08 at 11:32 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• i'm trying to think of ways to help, have you let him drink out of your cup before? thats how we started it, but they were younger than that when we started. oh another thing i did before the sippy cup, i went out and got those small cups that had no top and just filled the bottom up with drink. i hope these ideas help.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 11:33 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• It's a matter of trial and error, just like with most things having to do with baby. Many babies prefer soft spouts, especially when transitioning from a bottle. That's probably the first place to start if you haven't tried that yet. On the flip side, if that's all you've tried, then try a hard spout, that might make a difference. Try different valves, too; some babies can't quite get the hang of sucking hard enough on a spill-proof cup with a valve--some come with a slow and fast valve, or you can try just taking it out all together. Or your baby might never use a sippy and go straight to straw cups, like both of mine did. We love the Take 'N' Toss straw cups, and they are surprisingly spill-resistant.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:37 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• He is pretty young still. I would just relax, he won't be on a bottle when he goes to school! Sometimes that bottle or boob is just so comforting to them, I see no problem with it!
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 11:50 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• My youngest was the same way at 10 months. He would just push the sippy cup away and refuse to even open his mouth for it. He's now 11 1/2 months and drinks from one just fine. He just up and started accepting the cup last week.
    Just give him some time.
    My other kids figured it out early (around 7-8 months for each of them... and my older son was drinking from one at 5 1/2 months) but this one just had to wait until HE was ready which happened to be 11 months.
    Just keep offering. I always keep one with water around where the baby is playing and offer it occasionally, let him play with it, etc. And if he's eating I put it on his high chair and offer it whenever I take a drink. That's how I got the older kids to drink earlier. he was just stubborn about it. He'd rather drink from a regular straw and cup (but that gets tedious and messy, I'd rather him use a sippy until he can handle a regular cup without spilling).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:42 AM on Jun. 26, 2011