Someone suggested taht sitting in a tub of hot water will help your water break. They said it worked on all 5 of her pregnancies at 36 weeks. Being 38 weeks does anyone think it will have the same effect, or does anyone else find this to be true?

LaddiPatrone

Asked by LaddiPatrone at 11:46 PM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Pregnancy

• try it!
    sophistcatdfury

Answer by sophistcatdfury at 11:51 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• No. Your friend has experienced a coincidence. Hot tubs are not safe during pregnancy, and they do not cause your water to break. It's ideal to have contractions before your water breaks. If your water breaks too soon, it can cause cord prolapse, where the cord gets stuck between the baby's head and your cervix, which can be fatal to your baby. Also, once your water breaks, you're generally on a 24 hour clock before most doctors will make you have a c-section. No home method, aside from nature taking its course, is a safe wayto break your water. You are better off walking and having sex to stimulate contractions. You are only 38 weeks, and while I know you feel like it's been an eternity, Baby may not be ready yet, and will come when he/she IS ready. Please be patient and let nature take its course. And avoid hot tubs for the duration of your pregnancy! They can cause brain damage in your baby!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:55 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I find it to be dangerous honestly. #1. I believe theres a reason doctors tell you no hot tubs or hot baths. #2 I havent heard it being passed around as a way to start labor, Im sure for a reason and #3 if she was only 36 weeks IMO she shouldnt have been trying to start labor. I know pregnancy sometimes seems to go on forever but just let the baby grow and come out when theyre ready.
    FDNYwife

Answer by FDNYwife at 11:56 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• LOL! Why would you "want" it to break??
    Then you have to walk around for maybe four, five, six, seven weeks leaking.
    That is messy and a LOT of laundry.

Been there, done that, not worth it.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:08 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Wow, people really are stupid. Hot tubs and baths are dangerous during pregnancy? Okay, wrong. Thats why hospitals have jacuzzis in labor rooms and perform water births. haha, people who think they know everything are absolutely rediculous. However, I dont see a hot bath causing your water to break. I am 40 weeks now and I was having really bad back labor contractions from something I tried to get me into labor, and instead of letting them take their course and put me into full labor, I couldnt stand the back pain so I took a bath and it relaxed my muscles and cause the contractions to subside. So if it calms pains and contractions, I dont see it causing a water to break. However I do know where youre coming from in wanting to go into labor, but I dont think that method will work, sorry :[
    lizjones

Answer by lizjones at 12:20 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Having your water break does not necessarily bring on labor. In fact, if your water breaks but you do NOT start labor, your doctor may decide to do a cesarean section! Mine did. He felt that without the protective water barrier, germs could enter and cause problems.

However, my water broke when I decided to rearrange the bedroom furniture. My doctor told me my blood pressure was getting too high, and I was to drop out of school and go home to bed until the baby came. I tearfully told all my college professors, then went home. But as I put on pajamas, and looked at that bed, I was thinking that there was no way I could spend the last weeks of my pregnancy in such a dirty room. So I cleaned! I pushed the bed over, swept under it, etc... Finally, exhausted, I crawled between the comfortable covers and took a nap. A few hours later, my water began to break. IT didn't break with a gush, but with an annoying drip, drip.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 12:21 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• If you seriously want to go into labor... lots of sex and walking... something in the sperm and the movement

NO HOT WATER unless you want a "special" kid!!!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 12:36 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• NOOOO mama!!! Just have sex and walk like previous said....The sperm helps with softing the cervix. And walking helps baby nestle down!! Goodluck!!
    msmamakatie

Answer by msmamakatie at 1:33 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• True Lorelei, water breaking does not 'mean' labor ---or a problem either.

It is very common (10%) and normal for water to break prior to laboring (called PROM). Not a reason to have a surgical delivery. Sounds like you had medical intervention for blood pressure issues. Although usually induction is the first route (after prevention).

Also: we women are The Deciders. WE allow others to perform procedures. The doctor doesn't "decide and do." That wouldn't be legal or ethical.

But with PROM, some of us wait weeks and months gushing amniotic fluid...
    Hopfully the sac will reseal or it's only one layer...

I think it's funny that the OP is referring to such a strange coincidence. Anything is possible, not sure how much I really believe that story though... lol
    ;-P

doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:41 AM on Jun. 26, 2011