Would have told him the truth? (10 year old asking if babies come out the butt)

LOL...I just told my son I'll tell him and his sister later bc we were watching a movie at the time...How do I tell them they are bound to find out sooner or later. With all the movies and friends, wouldn't you moms rather them find out through mom and dad than out in the world?
Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I would tell him. I had an 11 yr old that I tutored ask me where babies came from, but because I did not know his parents stance on this (and it would be highly inappropriate to answer the question correctly) I told him he could ask his mom when he got home. He kept asking why I wouldn't tell him and my answer was the same as it always is when they ask why...Because I said so.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 12:25 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I sure would have. I'm a big believer in telling kids the truth about things. Maybe not a whole long winded explanation, but what they can handle at the time and place.

My DD was 5.5 when her younger brother was born. She came to me and asked (and then answered for herself) how babies got out. Girl parts mom? Yes. OK, bye. I'm sure that she scurried off to tell her older brother.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:26 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• The age-old approach is to tell them just enough until they stop asking questions. They may not want the "whole story" just now. Kind of play it by ear. Think about what you might tell them in little bits. For instance, with a preschooler who asks where babies come from, I tell them, from the love between a mommy and a daddy. If the child asks how the baby got in mommy's belly, you might say that Daddy put the seed there, and God made it grow. If the child asks HOW Daddy put the seed there, mommy could say "very lovingly". If the child doesn't understand, you might try to distract him with saying he will understand when he's older. My grandchild doesn't have a daddy, though. She hasn't asked this question yet, either. My children watched puppies being born, so they never asked, either. But absolutely, mom and/or dad should tell her kids the answers to these questions - not neighbors or schools
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 12:26 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• LOL I have to admit that I have kinda flubbed details on this question myself. I had 2 c-sections so i told my kids when they were little that the dr. cut the baby out. My sister also had 3 c-sections do i could use the same explaination with out lying. lol. I told the truth, just didn't elaborate on the natural birth method lol
    Trinity001

Answer by Trinity001 at 12:27 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I told mine from the start at the level they could understand and built on it every year.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:31 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• ~*Giggles*~... my eldest son was about 10, when he realized girls were different down there, they didn't eat too much to get a baby (eat a million more food, like he thought when he was 4), and they don't come out of our butt... we believe in children being children for as long as possible, he was at that time and only child (and to this day none of my kids have seen me naked), and we told him the truth... but not until he started asking us the questions
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 12:33 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I walk around naked constantly lol but I have a daughter. She had no interest in knowing until sex ed at school but I let her know I was there for questions.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 12:56 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I think that's the perfect time to open up the subject of the dreaded "birds and bees" conversation.. and 10 especially.

LoreleiSieja: I totally don't agree with you about this.. the child in question is 10, not 3 or 4.. secondly, by omitting as much as you can until you HAVE to answer it, often times becomes when it's too late.. THIS is one of the main reasons teen pregnancy is still so high (lack of education in kids and teens).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:20 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Tell him. He's 10 for goodness sake. Girls his age menstruate...the time is now so give it to him straight...good luck!
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 1:52 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I told mine age appropriate answers to any questions she has ever asked so by 7 she already knew most of what there is to know. At 8 yrs old she watched me give birth to her brother. She is 9 now and has been learning about condoms and STDs from me. She is very clued up about sex education.
    Misery_Stitches

Answer by Misery_Stitches at 3:56 AM on Jun. 26, 2011