Breast feeding/weaning/engorgment question...HELP!!

So i have been slowly weaning my 10 month old off of breast milk for the last two months....three days ago we finished her last feeding to where she is fully bottle fed now....the only problem is my right boob feels like a rock and no matter how long i stand in the shower there is no relief....it's not leaking like it used to and when i try to massage it it barely has anything coming out... What can i do to relieve it without pumping??

Limarey

Asked by Limarey at 12:36 AM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• gosh umm without pumping i guess u will just have to take it and it should go away soon! have u put cabbage in ur bra yet? that helps some people! i would keep doing the shower thing when u can tho! or a nice hot rag on her breast might help too! sorry!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 12:45 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Have ur husband suck it. lol jj. It shouldn't take long to go away. I don't know of any way to relieve it if u dont want to pump besides waiting it out. Same happened to me but I waited a day or two and then pumped a little out and not much came back after that
    BitsMom00

Answer by BitsMom00 at 12:45 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Use a cold compress instead of warm showers. Warmth stimulates production, which is what you want to avoid. Stick with cold. And I've also heard that cabbage leaves in the bra help dry up supply.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:22 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• best bet is to look on line and seek a tutorial on how to hand pump.. to gently release some pressure.. it'll go away in a week or so..
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:33 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Cold cabbage leaves...break the veins and place a leaf in your bra, leave it until it wilts. Remove and repeat if needed. Motrin if needed for pain. Wear a supportive, well fitting bra, nothing too tight and NO BINDING of your breasts, as it can cause clogged ducts which often lead to mastitis (breast infection). The worst will be over soon, but don't be surprised if you still have a little milk for a while, even a year or so. I believe sage, or sage pills also help with drying up, but I've always heard that the cabbage leaves work great.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:52 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Cold cabbage leaves work for me. ( im weaning daughter who will be two next week) I have not had any engorgement/pain or swelling
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 3:16 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Get in touch with La Leche League. They have answers for everything! (feel for you. Ouch!) x
    http://www.llli.org/help_form
    Womamhood

Answer by Womamhood at 5:07 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Thank you ladies for all your helpful answers!
    Limarey

Comment by Limarey (original poster) at 11:17 PM on Jun. 26, 2011