Have you ever screwed up?

So I got a package in the mail and dropped it on my foot....OUCH!! Anyway, I yelled dammit in front of my 22 month old girl. You see where this is going:) Yeah she now yells dammit(and yells it loud) whenever she has a problem! Now I ignore it and don't give her much attention for it, I just correct her and say darnit. She repeats darnit, but still always says dammit first. How can I correct this. I know this is my fault, but its really embarrassing and I just want it to stop. Any suggestions!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• First of all don't beat yourself up for making a mistake. I assure you even if your child hadn't hear YOU say it, they would have heard it somewhere. It's a phase that all kids go through. Your best bet is probably to pick a funny word or phrase to replace it. Either way I promise that she will loose intrest in the word.

Our middle child couldn't say the word bench correctly. Instead she called it a bitch. Sure enough there was a bench parked right outside my older son's school office. It was painted with cherries and our daughter loved it. Every day (for about 3 weeks) when we went in to pick him up my daughter would yell " mommy, mommy, let's sit on the bitch!" The first day it was pretty embarassing, but the parents laughed it off and she did eventually learn to say it correctly.

FemaleRacer

Answer by FemaleRacer at 6:20 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Have you tried telling her that it is a bad word? I would try replacing the word with something more fun than darnit, I would say oopsy doopsy or something else made up. That might encourage her to switch words. If she's saying it because she knows she's not supposed to you could make it seem like a made up word is bad and trick her.. my daughter has language delays, so even though she's nearly three, she JUST started repeating bad words, we were driving down the road and I was making fun of my husband, so I said "bitch bitch bitch" sure enough I heard a little voice in the back seat repeating me... oops. She's still delayed enough that she was just repeating and not learning the bad word. It was a wake up call though.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 5:11 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• darnit sounds too much like damnit, I always did oopsie or ut o (have no clue how to spell that one lol) they all seemed to like the ut o one. Try that instead.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 10:34 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• yea dont feel bad, i had my daghter saying "oh shit" eventually it got old, try to not make a big deal about it and correcting her, she may like that its like a game.
    Shannon85

Answer by Shannon85 at 11:10 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

•  My son about to turn 2 was outside with his daddy when daddy dropped something and said "OH F**" now he says "OH Buck" all the time but at least he can't say "f's" yet. Then he went shopping with me and a friend ...we thought he was sleeping but apparently not becuase he came home and daddy said something to him and he said "Oh Bullsh**" clear as a bell. Then I told my  older son to stop being a pain the the a$$! And now he says to his siblings "You pain the a$$" My oldest daughter when she was 2 in stead of saying STICKERS would say what sounded like "ni**ers" that was awful couldn't take her any where with stickers!

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 11:12 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• We were at KFC and it was taking forever and I said how long does it take to get some damn chicken. I asked my son what he wanted for dinner the next day and he said some damn chicken. I just ignored it and after a coula more times it got old for him.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 2:39 PM on Dec. 14, 2008