Can a family of three live in a studio apartment?

I live in Florida and several months ago my husband got laid off. I'm still working, but we have been struggling to make ends meet, and one of those ends just so happens to be rent. We currently rent a two bedroom apartment, but with only one income, it's becoming quite impossible to keep up with all the bills. We decided to move into the city, closer to where I work. We were looking online at different apartments and trying to figure out what we can afford to pay and the way it's looking right now, we'll only be able to afford a studio apartment. I have an 8 year old and we are trying to figure out if (and this sounds stupid, please no bashing) if it's against the law for the three of us to live in a studio apartment. I'm not trying to be bashed or anything, I'm just trying to take a negative situation and make it work for the best. If any one could help, or give their two cents that would be great. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Home & Garden

• My husband works in property management and I can safely tell you that it is NOT against the law. My husband and daughter and I live in a 1 bedroom b/c that's all we can afford right now on 1 income. What IS against the law is having more than 3 people in a 1 bedroom or studio. Hope I helped. Good luck to you!
    Ashley4584

Answer by Ashley4584 at 1:35 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• We lived in a studio apartment when our first child was little; there were three of us but he was just a baby. It was comfortable enough.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 1:38 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I'm not sure. I just wanted to say I know how tough it is living on one income. I'm sorry and I hope things get better for you guys!!! :)
    bouncingsoul

Answer by bouncingsoul at 1:40 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• From my experience only two are able to live in a studio apartments. have you tried looking at low income housing. I know some places provide that. sometimes long stay hotels work to, they can end up cheaper then apartments at least for a short period of time. I wish u the best of luck
    natalygarcia

Answer by natalygarcia at 11:34 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• There is a maximum number allowed due to fire code. You'll have to check with the apartment complex manager.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:53 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Please do not let some of the answers on here fool you. In Florida there are regulations for how many people can live in an apartment. the federal Department of Housing and Urban Development says that it’s okay to limit occupancy to two people per bedroom. Thus, a family of four could live in a two-bedroom apartment, but not in a one-bedroom apartment, they also say that a child over the age of 18 months can not share a room that is used as sleeping quarters. This means that a mother with a newborn could stay in a studio apartment until that child is 18 months of age, after that a 1 bedroom is required under their regulations.
    410.400: Minimum Square Footage

(A) Every dwelling unit shall contain at least 150 square feet of floor space for its first occupant, and at least 100 square feet of floor space for each additional occupant, the floor space to be c
    my1muscle

Answer by my1muscle at 2:10 PM on Feb. 13, 2014