Okay my three year old boy has needed to use the bathroom a lot today and only pees a small amount...

He also is constantly holding his penis. He has not complained of any pain at all and otherwise seems healthy. Are these signs of a urinary tract infection? It is midnight here and if I need to take him to urgent care I should go soon. I really don't want to wait because I know how painful UTI's can get in such a short amount of time. My question is: if you know the signs of a UTI in a young boy and if these are it?

AnnaMac

Asked by AnnaMac at 2:08 AM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yes, that is a sign of a UTI. Is he sleeping? I would take him in the morning.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:14 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I agree, I would take him in the morning, as long as there is no blood in the urine. All it will take is some antibiotics, make sure he drinks plenty, add some cranberry juice if possible. Yogurt is also a great thing, you always want to give them yogurt with antibiotics because antibiotics can kill off all of the good bacteria in the intestines and yogurt has live bacteria which is great for the digestive system. Lastly make sure he wears 100% cotton underwear. Hope this helps.
    jordanmarie2000

Answer by jordanmarie2000 at 3:30 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• My 5 year old son does this. He won't hold it for very long, he says it's because it makes his "pee pee" big and it's embarrassing to him. So he goes all the time throughout the day to avoid the growth, haha. If your son isn't complaining about pain, I'd wait it out. Give him the yogurt and such just in case...but there's no point if he's not hurting.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:03 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Yes you should take him, in the morning if he is sleeping like they said above. These are all signs of a possible UTI. I have had plenty of experience with UTI's in my children, and the faster you get it taken care of the easier it is to get rid of.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:56 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Yes a sign of a UTI or something is not right. Take him in.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:41 PM on Dec. 15, 2008