Anyone had a close call with a skunk?

I just went outside to smoke and sat down on the steps to the house. A skunk walked right up to me, not three inches away and just sat there looking at me. I thought for sure he was going to spray me because his tail was wiggling. But, he turned and walked away. Once he was about 6 inches away, I booked inside and told DH to get the pellet gun. I am sooo glad I didn't have one of my kids out there, they would've thought it was a cat... Like I initially did. I almost said here kitty kitty. But I realized what it was and did not move.

Anyone else ever had a close call like that? I don't know what I would've done if I had been sprayed. Oh the smell. I've never been that close to a skunk before. LOL

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 AM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I used to work in our local project housing for 12 hrs a night, and after 1 or 2 am, they all wouild come out in force looking for food. 8 to 10 of them one night!! My partner and I would get rreal bored and want to take nap, so we started naming them! lol The we would see thr fight over a chicken bone or something and we make "bets" on whio would win, and whoever lost had to do the paperwork. Yes we were easily entertained. We would only be about 5 feet or so in our cruiser and as long as we didn't noise, they never knew we were there. One night, my partner fart so loud, I swear he levitated off the seat. I laughed so hard I had tears running down my cheeks. So of course the skunkj heard us and we scared him so badly the skunk turned his stinky ass at us and started stomping his feet anbd thank good the car was running and we took off like a bat of hell. I still think the skunk smelled better thern my partner!!!
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:49 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• My grandmother keeps doves, and the skunks always tried to get in the pen and eat dove eggs so she would set live traps, catch them and then release them farther away (they lived on the Wildlife Fish and Game Reserve) so most summers when I went to stay with them the first hug from her was smelly haha. So old skunk smell has a nostalgic smell for me. But not a fresh blast haha
    I have not had a close encounter with skunks. Porcupines though! That was scary! My poor dog got three quils in the nose before I could get him away from it. I was on my horse and had a badger pop out of it's hole, scared the crap out of me AND my horse haha
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 2:48 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I grew up in skunk territory, saw them frequently, fed them sometimes, and have bottle fed orphaned babies. I never once got sprayed. As long as they can get away (not backed into a corner, not trapped under a porch or shed, etc.) and aren't being threatened, they genereally won't spray. Scaring them or startling them will absolutely make them spray ~ which is their natural defense against predators. A lot of my friends raised them as pets (descented) and they are a lot like cats ... they sleep more.

They are vector animals (can transmit rabies) and as a result, many states have banned them as pets. If you sit still they generally just keep doing what they are doing and won't bother you. If you feed them, they will do just like cats and come back for more.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 7:36 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• About a week and a half ago one sprayed in our yard - we don't know if it was trying to get the dog & the dog got away, or what, but it nailed part of our garage & part of the dog's yard and everyone on the block smelled it - it was 11pm so no one was outside but still, it was bad enough!
    Anonymous

• bump

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:52 PM on Jun. 26, 2011