How to deal with fur matts in cats

Does anyone have any at home remedies for cats who get matts my little kitty has two and i can't get to the groomers just yet any advice that doesn't just say take her to the groomer because i don't have my car right now and it's a four mile walk in 90 degree weather

krissii

Asked by krissii at 2:43 AM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Pets

• Scissors..If you're planning to take the cat to the groomer anyways, a few more days with mats isnt going to hur the cat. But I would just get scissors and cut it out.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 2:50 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• hurt*
    cassie_kellison

• I agree with cassie- that's what I do with my kitten when she gets mats in her fur. Sometimes they are unavoidable, and you really can't tell I've cut one out anyway. It's better for the cat, because I'm sure the mat pulls and hurts.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:10 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I'd leave it for a few days, but GO BUY a dematting comb, so you can remove mats in the future!
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:17 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• if you already have a brush for her then I've heard you can get them out by covering the mat in cornstarch and putting some on the brush then VERY CAREFULLY brush them out working upwards bit by bit from the end to the roots. It is a lengthy, time consuming process but it will get the mats out if you don't want to clip her.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 3:37 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• the other ladies have some good ideas I have not had to deal with these as of yet
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 4:12 PM on Jun. 26, 2011