I have a 4 week old and all she wants to do is eat, she doesnt let me sleep at night because she just wants me to be feeding her. I breastfeed, but since she kept asking for more i thougjt i wasnt filling her up so i started giving her formula. She has thrown up a few times,just tonight she threw up quite a bit she drank 6 oz in like 3 hours, is the formula bad for her or is it that maybe im feeding her too much?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:03 AM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You may be feedin her too much.. or it may be the formula my daughter was the same way! they gave her enfamil newborn in the hospital and we got home and it started the make her throw up and she couldnt use the bathroom and would just cry and cry... especially if it was powder milk.. we switched to ready to use enfamil gentlease and she's been doin great ever since.. hope this helps!
    carrientravisj1

Answer by carrientravisj1 at 3:07 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I am with carrie...some babies will eat so much they will throw it back up. Did u breast feed then formula? Also try using a breast pump to see exactly howe much u r putting out, then u can adjust accordingly.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:10 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• It could be either of the two, babies cry and dont let us sleep for many different reasons, not just because they are hungry, of course the milk will stop them crying but its not always why they were crying in the first place.......if she is drinking alot she may also be gassy, is she burping ok? Hope it gets easier...
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 3:16 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• At this age, they nurse a lot. There are a lot of growth spurts and a lot of supply building going on. Just nurse on demand. Don't worry unless you're not changing 6-8 diapers in a 24 hour period. Nurse on demand, for as long, and as often as baby wants. It's normal.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:19 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• she should be drinking about 1.5 to 2oz every 2-3 hours your feeding her to much :/ she might be going through a growth spurt as well
    Gen

Answer by Gen at 3:21 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• As Krysta said, newborns feed at the breast what can seem like all day and night... BUT it is normal and wont last for ever. I would just get rid of the formula and keep bfing on demand and baby will be just fine :)

Trust your boobies!!!
    Misery_Stitches

Answer by Misery_Stitches at 3:45 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Another thing to think about is that maybe she just Wants to comfort herself by sucking and doesn't actually want to eat. I would try and see if a pacifier will calm her down instead of always feeding her. There are different type of pacifiers so maybe she wants a particular kind. She very well might be hungry and going thru a growth spurt or having tummy issues. I would try the comforting issue first and see if that helps before you do anything else. GL
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 3:49 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Agree with PPs!
    1. It could be that you are feeding too much.
    2. Your baby should be drinking 2 oz every 2-3 hours.
    3. Provide with a pacifier.
    (If you don't have a pacifier right now, you can use the tip or your finger)
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 5:09 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Okay so what if i just fed my baby and she still wants more, what do i do then
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:34 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Just nurse, nurse and nurse some more. Throw away the formula. Breast is best, and it's normal for a breastfed baby to go through phases of wanting to nurse 24 hours a day. Stick with it momma, her schedule will settle down and your supply will adjust to exactly what she needs. Drink lots of water, avoid alcohol, and just enjoy your new baby. I'd suggest co-sleeping, if you're comfortable with that.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 6:01 AM on Jun. 26, 2011