If your 11 year old daughter...

wanted a haircut all of a sudden, what would you think?

My daughter, Amber, is 11 years old. Her hair is just past shoulder length. Today my mom told me that Amber wants her hair cut short. Really short. And that she was trying to cut it herself.

I remember when I was about that age. I told my mom to hack all my hair off because I was sick and tired of brushing it and having to take care of it. It was nothing more than a huge bother. So she did. It took some wheedling, but eventually she caved and chopped it all off.

So if Amber really wants to cut her hair, I can support that. Especially if it's because she doesn't like taking care of it (like I didn't).

What I am NOT okay with is her trying to do the deed herself. Yeah, she tried this when she was four, a week before her bday, and I had to REALLY work some magic to get it fixed.

I will take her to a professional salon and have someone who knows what they're doing cut her hair.

But first, she and I are going to sit down and talk about why she wants to do this all of a sudden.

Would you allow your daughter to have a really short haircut? Why or why not?

chavela_carlita

Asked by chavela_carlita at 3:21 AM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I would - and in fact, I did let my dd cut her hair short (it was above her shoulders, which might not seem "short" - but she had over 10 inches cut off, so it was a big change).

At this age, they're right in the middle of that "tween" stage, and they're starting to really try to explore who they are, who they want to be, etc.

Hair cuts are an easy way for them to do this - it's not permanent (tattoos, etc), harmful (drugs, etc), and it grows back pretty fast if she's not happy with it - especially doing this over the summer :-)

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:41 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Yes I dont see why someone would not allow it, that sounds as if their is something wrong with a woman having short hair. I dont think I would look into it so much about why she wants it cut, I would ask the normal questions, make sure she wasnt being bullied or teased at school about the way her hair looks, that would be the only reason I wouldnt be ok with her wanting to cut it, otherwise I would just think she wanted a hair cut.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 3:27 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Just ask her casually, "So what made you decide to get your hair cut short?"

I don't have a girl but I doubt I'd let her get it cut supershort (I've always had long hair.)
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 3:31 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• She has beautiful hair, wavy and really beautiful, but she hates taking care of it. I have to threaten bloody murder to get her to comb it.
    It's not a big deal to me if she wants a haircut. It'll grow back. What I am concerned about is why all of a sudden she wants her hair cut. So that's why we need to talk it over first. And with her deciding she just wants to go ahead and chop it all off by herself NO WAY is that okay with me. If she's going to get it done, then it needs to be done by someone who knows what they're doing.
    chavela_carlita

Comment by chavela_carlita (original poster) at 3:36 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Maybe, you and your daughter can compromise. A length that's easy for her to take care of, and a length that doesn't have you saying, "wow, that's really short." You're right, now that's it's summer, her hair will grow back really fast.
    crazycatlady66

Answer by crazycatlady66 at 3:42 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I prefer my daughters hair short personally but dont care what it looks like as long as she does all she can to prevent lice lol. At 5 yrs old I even let her have a mohawk coz she asked.
    Misery_Stitches

Answer by Misery_Stitches at 3:47 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I had really long hair my whole life until I turned about 21 then I cut it off because I wanted something new. I had it about an inch long in the back and longer bangs in the front. I think it is fine to let her cut her hair short, it is actually in style now so why not let her?
    ashlrenee

Answer by ashlrenee at 3:48 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• From the age I could talk I decided how I wanted my hair. My mother was trying to have me grow it out, well when I was 6 my whole family was gathered and while my mom was in the other room I apparently started complaining about my bangs being in my eyes to the point it even annoyed my uncle who took out his swiss army knife with a little pair of scissors and he cut my bang (my first hair cut ever)

If your daughter wants short hair let her, it'll grow back.
    AimBre

Answer by AimBre at 3:52 AM on Jun. 26, 2011