How long do I wait? (selling something)

We are selling our couches. Someone came Sat. morning (11 am) to look at them. I told them to tell me either way whether they wanted them or not. It is now Sunday late-afternoon (5 pm) and I still haven't heard from them. It would be fine but I had someone else contact me this morning (Sun. morning) about them. I told the 2nd person I would let them know asap what the 1st person decides. I just emailed the first person to ask if they had made a decision as there is now a 2nd person interested. How long do I wait for the 1st person to reply before letting the 2nd come look.

ILoveCade

Asked by ILoveCade at 3:56 AM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Shopping

• I have sold many things on CL ect. There are so many people that won't call you if they don't want the item and many people that don't show ect. I think you better sell to the first person ready to pay & pick up. I usually tell people if they need time to decide that I will still be showing the item and if they decide they want it they should call first to make sure it is not sold yet. There is nothing wrong with that. They can't expect you to pass up selling the item while they are taking their time deciding. And if they decide no, then you missed a sale. People usually know "if you snooze you loose".

Hunnieto3

Answer by Hunnieto3 at 4:07 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I just have them listed on a local site (we are on a military base in Japan). So I emailed the 1st potential buyer and told them someone else is interested. I will give them until tomorrow morning (Mon). I told the 2nd buyer that if they (the 1st buyer) still had not emailed me tomorrow, they could have them. Would you say that is reasonable?
    ILoveCade

Comment by ILoveCade (original poster) at 4:24 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I would assume that they didn't want them...but waiting until tomorrow is more than fair to them.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:57 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• hey I'm thinking if the 1st person can't decide in that amount of time then don't risk losing the 2nd interested person while waiting for the 1st, because what if the 1st decides they don't want it, now you lost the 1st AND the 2nd..
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:01 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I've sold a lot of things over the years and have come to find that 95% of people who walk away and do not make a decision at that time are doing so because they don't really want it and just don't want to say anything. I would just move on to the next person. Next time I would try and pin down a time you will hear back from that person.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:19 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Sell it to the first person that pays for it. No holds.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 11:41 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I agree with PP
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:45 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• the first one to give you the cash gets the item
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 10:37 PM on Jul. 2, 2011