Parents of ADHD: Do you feel you're rejecting your child due to their behaviors, and do you feel you are a bad parent?

I love my children wth all my heart: but my youngest, who is diagnosed with ADHD, behavior is very challenging for the school staff. Because the school calls me daily concerning my child's behavior, the calls are overwhelming for me.

ladynell4god

Asked by ladynell4god at 2:18 AM on Dec. 14, 2008 in General Parenting

• No, I never felt as if I was a bad parent . . . quite the opposite as a matter of fact. I was doing everything within my power to get to the root of my son's problems and find a way to make it all work. I was a 100%, hands-on mother, as I think is the case with most parents of ADHD children; you pretty much have to be by default. I had plenty of people telling me I was an awful parent - mostly school personnel - but I didn't buy any of it. THEY were the ones ill-equipped to deal with the issue; they just wanted it FIXED and were not willing to work with me or listen to anything I had to say when I would make suggestions on how to alleviate problems in the classroom.

FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 8:40 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• CONTINUED:

Also, I never felt I rejected my child. I was even more loving and protective of him because of the insensitivities of adults who should have know better. True, I needed a break once and again but what parent doesn't?

Do you have an IEP in place for your child that addresses the behavioral concerns?
    FootballMom85

• Sometimes it does make me feel like I"m a bad parent. Like I screwed up some where and did something wrong. I think that is normal especially when 2 of your kids have it and the other 3 are "normal" and doing fine. It makes me feel like I screwed up on the first two somehow. I know I didn't raise them any different though so it must just be the kids and their genes they got and I do what I can to make them more organized and to tackle behavior issues. They aren't even the worst kids in their class so I must be doing better than some others. In the end as long as you do what you can and help as much as you can you didn't fail at all.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 10:46 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I yell a lot, which always makes things worse, but I can't help it. He is extremely difficult and it's getting worse. Every morning I say to myself that I will not yell, but it never works. I always feel like a bad parent.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 5:03 PM on Dec. 16, 2008