Would you do the same?? not a big deal but

so dd wakes up at 4am saying shes hungry..which is very poss cuz it had been awhile since she ate and she ate two bowls but after she ate she playd in a pool, rode a bike and played outside...is it really that big of a deal to give her a small snack?? i mean it was applesauce..nd then she askd 4 a drink and went bck to bed hubby jst made her go bck to bed and let her scream and hollar nd then take her night lights so shed stop crying nd go bck to bed..cuz taking her nightlights was really goin to help anything....and besides she going threw a growth spert ..idk i dont really see the big deal he made it into bc i talkd to her b4 she ate that if she didnt eat dinner then she didnt need to eat ths late nd i askd her wat time it was she said 1am lol i told her it was 4 and needed to be n bed cuz its bed time...i mean shes 3 but still talking to her isnt going to hurt and besides ths saying to her oh i can get up at all times of the night and mommy will do this i dont see a big deal...do you???????????

rachel216

Asked by rachel216 at 4:37 AM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I wouldn't feed my 3 year old in the middle of the night, I would send them back to bed for sure. You make it sound like she didn't eat her dinner then I would remind her of that and then send her back to bed.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 6:48 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I don't see what the big deal is if a little applesauce solves the problem. But I would have water in a covered cup and a small snack, like crackers, goldfish, etc on a table near her bed and tell her to have that and not get up or call us unless something is wrong.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 7:27 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Unless it is a habit, which could cause her to be overweight, there is no reason why she couldn't get something to eat. Children will eat when they are hungry. Try going to sleep yourself when your stomach is in those knots with hunger and see how easy it is. We send money to people overseas and feel sorry for children who are going to bed hungry, why would we do that to our own children if we had a choice not to. Even if she missed dinner out of her choice, she's 3, not 13 so the consequences need to be a little different. I would have given her the applesauce and explained this was a one time special occasion.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:17 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• dd is 3 and jst hit 30lbs mayb 35 now its been awhile since weve went to the docs ..shes perfectly healthy and its not a habbit at all this might have happen 2other times and not back to back..we dont have a night stand in her room shes too much like me shed fall into it nd get hurt and we dont allow food in her room bc shell wont finish it and it sits in there til i find it!!!! not fun..but i agree with attap5 bc she is jst that a baby almst if shes hungry shell say something and its not easy to go bck to bed and being hungry
    rachel216

Comment by rachel216 (original poster) at 9:40 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• make her eat before bed because if she doesn't she will be hungry and it will become habit to eat in the middle of the night ....never leave food out for kids to eat in the middle of the night she could choke etc and you would be sleeping and not know!
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 1:59 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I might, once or twice.

But after one time, I would be ensuring she was eating a bigger dinner closer to bedtime (eat by 7, bed by 8).

I've had a lot of problems with my youngest needing to nurse multiple times at night, and everybody (especially her!) is happier when she sleeps all night. Eating at night can leave food on teeth and especially cause acid reflux. And all the light and talking and hassle can wake them up for good, so I have a terror of that! :-) And I know it can be habit-forming.

But all those are not one-time issues. One time hurts nobody. And she's 3. I don't insist on them eating a good dinner and being responsible to stay full till morning till age 4 or 5.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 7:00 PM on Jun. 26, 2011