The Kinsey scale

(this could go here or P&CE.  I chose here.  If you don't like it and try to recat it, I'm just going to edit the question and put it back here anyway, so don't bother)

The Kinsey scale is the idea that people fall on a spectrum of sexuality, with one extreme being pure homosexual and the other extreme being pure heterosexual.  In between those extremes are the majority of people, who, for the most part, lean one way or the other, but with slight tendencies in the opposite direction.  In other words, your husband is probably 80% heterosexual and 20% homosexual, while you might be 72% heterosexual and 28% homosexual.  Then again, perhaps your husband is 51% hetero, you're 95% hetero, or vice versa.

Do you believe in the Kinsey scale (based on his extensive research), or do you really believe people are purely hetero, with the occasional aberration of people who are purely homosexual?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 4:51 AM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Yes I believe sexuality is a spectrum like the Kinsey Scale illustrates.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:43 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Mmm. interesting idea. I'm not at all sure what a question that's surely pure psychology is doing in the "religious debate" but yeah, could be true. My husband is really homophobic, so he's probably real close to the middle, LOL!!
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 6:07 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I certainly believe in it. I score a 3 myself.
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 7:19 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I definately believe MOST people float somewhere in the middle...even though they don't know it. Our society has made it so that we fear what we intriniscally are.
    I don't need a scale to tell me I am close to the middle. I could easily picture myself with a woman to some degree. I find them beautiful to look at and they can be incredibly sexy....who hasn't thought about kissing a girl?!! LOL
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:49 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• i think the Kinsey scale is correct, which explains why there's so much homophobia out there. ppl usually fear something when they have that "thing" & the world is telling them its wrong. nothing is ever black & white when talking about a population of ppl...so why would sexuality? personally, im a 0 (or a 1 depending on the criteria for a 0) and have never found females attractive in anyway, but most ppl i know have at one point or another found the same sex sexually stimulating.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:54 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I do agree with the Kinsey scale theory. I've taken the test several times over the years and have seen the score change for myself. I think sexuality is far more flexible than what common knowledge says.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 9:56 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Absolutely I feel that sexuality lies on a varying spectrum and is not purely "Straight" or "homosexual". That's why you have bi, bi-curious, and a whole array of varying degrees of people out there with varying degrees of attraction.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:49 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Sexuality is a continuum that is a fact. We all just fall on different parts of that continuum.
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 12:08 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• How do you know where you fit on the scale? People who are adamantly against homosexuality would never admit they are anything other than 100% heterosexual, even if they weren't.

.Saille.

Answer by .Saille. at 12:13 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

True. A person may lack self-awareness or be in denial but, their attraction is what it is regardless of their awareness.
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 12:36 PM on Jun. 26, 2011