Do you think someone that serves a certain amount of years in the military should automatically get US citizenship?

If yes, how many years do you believe they should serve before becoming a citizen? If no, what is your reasoning? I ask this because a good friend of mine's hubby is "studying to become a citizen" he has served this country for over 4 years and plans on reenlisting. He has had to stop his "studying" due to the fact that he is now deployed in Afghanistan. I find this amusing, since most Americans cannot even pass the test that they are given. Also, if he is putting his life in danger serving our country, why should he not be given citizenship automatically? A low life piece of garbage that doesn't give a crap about this country is a citizen just because he happened to be born here. It just doesn't seem right to me. What if he dies serving over there, then what? His wife can't say he was ever a citizen of this country because he didn't go to some government building and take a test?

AF4life

Asked by AF4life at 6:30 AM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm a Vet and my dh is Active Duty. He's been serving long enough to retire. My ds leaves for boot camp in the fall. My opinion is this - that before a person who is not a citizen is able to enlist, they should have to pass additional testing (not necessarily a full citizenship test, as they are now, but there should be a test of basic citizenship stuff that they have to pass as a requirement for enlistment). Then, I would say that they should have to serve 4 yrs of Active Duty Service, with an honorable discharge.

Also, for what it's worth for your friend, if, heaven forbid, but something happens to her dh while he's serving, whether he (or she, as his wife) are citizens or not, they are still entitled to the same benefits that a surviving spouse who is a citizen gets, at least as far as the military stuff goes.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:46 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• i absolutely think that if you have served honorably in our military, you should absolutely be granted citizenship if that is what you want.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:11 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I think you should be a citizen before you can join our military, for security reasons, NO?
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 7:27 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I didn't think you could be in our military unless you were a US citizen, but if that is the case, I would certainly think that putting your life on the line to ensure civilians freedom and safety, should be enough to grant citizenship. I also agree about the tests, if you become a citizen they must know way more than they are teaching our children in school today.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:07 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I believe that military service should place one on the fast track to citizenship. I don't think it should be automatic though.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 10:01 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Absolutely. At a time when so many sneak into the US illegally, hide from authorities, break our laws, line up for freebies that many Americans can't even qualify for, and thumb their collective noses at our citizens, our laws, and even the country, someone willing to not only serve, but puts their very life on the line more than deserves a shot at citizenship. They deserve a break on some of the requirements.

I think it's a crying shame that so many of our legal citizens can't pass the test that immigrants are expected to. I think it's ... words fail me ... that so many of our legal citizens are content to sit around on welfare and whine about not getting enough benefits. Why aren't THEY front and center volunteering to serve (and earn a paycheck)?

Kudos to your DH and his friend for their service ~ and a huge thank you!
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 12:04 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I would vote yes to any person serving in the military to be granted citizenship along with their spouse and children. Should that person die in active duty befor completing their years of service...grant their family citizenship.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:34 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Well, she is a citizen so I know that won't be a problem, but I know they really want to be able to tell their daughters that their daddy is a US citizen too.
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 6:49 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Also, again for what it's worth, I think that if they die while serving and they have not gotten citizenship yet, they should have it granted posthumously, with the same rights granted to their survivors that would be granted to any other citizen who died on Active Duty (as far as the civil govt stuff goes - they get it with the military side of the house).

I do know that there are some requirements that are waived for military (and their spouses) who want to become citizens. For example, you have to live so many years continuously to be able to apply. For many yrs, this meant that military / their spouses couldn't apply, because when they were transferred overseas, it messed that up. Now, if you are overseas because you're stationed there (whether AD or as a spouse), they waive that.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:50 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Yes he was finally able to apply this year. It is just hard for him to be able to study for the test because of deployments and everything. I just think it is funny considering most US citizens can't even pass the test that they have to take.
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 6:53 AM on Jun. 26, 2011