Is anyone else out there making it work in a TOO small house?

We are a family of four living out of a 900 sq foot house! Three beds, two baths but absolutely no room to spare for storage and organization. It wont be in the budget for us to purchase a new home until next July (my husband will have two promotions under his belt by then). Anyone else somehow making it work?

mrsbrittbishop

Asked by mrsbrittbishop at 9:35 AM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I think most people are downsizing... money isn't what it used to be (I miss shopping when I wanted to)... and we're a family of five in a smaller place just to save $300 a month
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 10:30 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• We remodeled a 209 sq.ft. shed into a one room cabin ~ sans indoor plumbing ~ to live in while we're building. It's just DH and I, but we have two large dogs and 7 cats and 2 kittens. Since it looks like it may be another two years before we can start our own house (built my mom's first), we've decided to double the size of the cabin (add a full bathroom and separate bedroom) so we can expand the kitchen space. Right now that is a countertop with a sink along one short wall and the stove. For now we have our bed, our desks, two dressers, my cedar chest, and a baker's rack. The 'bathroom' is a shower/toilet combo but its across the driveway.

It works, and as much work as we do outside, I'm actually glad to have a lot less cleaning to do.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 3:40 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• oh gosh yes!! I live in a trailer. Talk about limited space! I got enough yard to put a mansion on LMBO Wish it was the other way around. Whoever built this place was an idiot...no storage closet...no shelves above shelves in the cabinets. I had to make modifications. At least we got 2 bathrooms
    Cenedra64

Answer by Cenedra64 at 9:40 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Idk the square footage of our house, but when we moved in it was 2 bedrooms, 1 bath. We renovated the attic into a 3rd bedroom but still just have the 1 bathroom - and we're a family of 6. We do have a basement for storage, but on the main floor, we have no closets, cabinets other than kitchen cabinets, no main floor storage - it sucks.
    Anonymous

• At least you have 2 bathrooms. We are going to be a family of 4 living in a 900 square foot house, 2 bedrooms, one bath and a den--I guess when we have the next kid we can put him/her in the den where the computer is but my hubby won't leave this house lol. He was born in it.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 9:37 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Some times you do what you have to do. Down sizing how much stuff you have might be something you will have to do to make more room.

Answer by louise2 at 9:38 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• We are, we live in a 1200 sq ft house..there are 5 of us with 3 bedrooms and 1 bathroom. We are remodeling at the moment to make the kitchen bigger and in a year we hope to add another bathroom. Sometimes is is hard because we are always on top of each other, although we aren't going to move because of all the work we are putting into this house.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:38 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Just moved into a 2 bed, 1 bath house.. family of 5... it was in our price range to rent.
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 9:39 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• My daughter and her children will be moving out next month which will give my younger daughter and I a little more room. My DH works OTR so he only has a few changes of clothing here. We are cramped as you know what. It was a compromise, I got the land I wanted for the animals, but had to settle for a house half the size. I did buy a shed, which helps with the outside stuff. Our regular stuff is hard. I keep buying organizational books. The kitchen is too very tiny. Under beds is a good storage area. Use all of the storage in your closets, don't forget you can to to the ceiling. Use those storage bags that you can suck the air out of. I use small tubs to organize toys instead of a great big toy box. Hang pants on pants hangers, it uses less space and opens a drawer in the dresser. It's the being on top of each other that gets to me.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:41 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• i live in a 1050 sq , 3 bd 1 1/2 bathroom for 4 people.......we make it work by keep personal positions to minimum and use all space like underbeds , using vertical space (meaning put up shelving to add more storage where you can....and making things do double dutie...(they kitchen doubles as the office, the living room doubles as my sewing space,hall storage closet double as the coat closet ect...) you just have to think out side the box and look at thing in a new way....and its doable....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:41 AM on Jun. 26, 2011