Is it unhealthy to have a constant fast heartbeat?

ever since i was a kid and getting checkups at the doctor i've had a particularly faster heartbeat than most individuals. resting is about 80-90 bpm. when i'm scared, nervous, mad or any emotion that gets your heart pumping it speeds up to 100-110 bpm and sometimes i get heart palps if i'm really stressed. i quit smoking 2 months ago, stopped drinking coffee, and have made my diet healthier by adding more fruits and veggies, yet still it beats rapidly. my blood pressure is good though and i do try to get in exercise, but its usually just a 10-15 minute walk every day to every other day. i just worry about my heart health even though nothing out of the ordinary has ever really happened. and it does speed up if i eat too much so i wonder if im diabetic but i dont have any other signs other than fast heartbeat.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Health

• Normal is between 60-100, so you are in the normal range. People who have lower heartbeats do a lot of exercise. Quitting smoking and drinking coffee isn't really going to do anything to lower it if it is an already normal heartbeat for you. You mentioned it was like this as a child. You can try and lower it for less stress on your heart by exercising daily (although I know it's easier said than done) but this is just who YOU are. They will tell you "normal" but it's what is normal for YOU, not other people. If I have a temp of 98.6, I have a fever. You will be just fine. And a heart murmur is nothing to worry about.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 10:06 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• i was also born with a mild heart murmur, if that makes any difference.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:01 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I agree with attap5. I had a heart murmur too but mine went away. the doc said it wasn't anything to be concerned about. it's most likely nothing to be worried about. if other symptoms show up then ask your doc.
    mmsfirstone

Answer by mmsfirstone at 10:14 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Mine is high at resting to, but anywhere between 60- 100 is normal for an adult, some people stay in the 80-90 area resting when others are around 60. but just like anything else always talk to your dr.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 10:18 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• don't worry........that's not abnormal lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:48 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• 60-100 resting is normal. Mine is about 80-90 and I had an echo stress test before surgery to make sure everything was ok. It was and the heart doctor told me not to worry, my heart is strong and healthy "for my age'. I will be 40 in August so I am happy with that.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:56 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Have you ever seen a cardiologist? I suggest it just to rule out anything. There is no set-in-stone "normal" for everyone - every individual has their own normal, and that may just be yours. But get checked out.
    Anonymous